Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

3 hours ago, Riotintheair said:

I got eaten by a wolf in FM within 2 minutes of spawning once, but the dumbest death by far was walking off the summit of TWF in heavy fog at night (right near the rope climb) on my second try at Hopeless Rescue.

Welcome to the forums @Riotintheair ^_^

I guess your character had a riot in the air... I'll see myself out :$

On 8/30/2017 at 7:14 PM, SweetNightmare said:

Interloper, had no matches on DP. Made the decision to break crates instead of sleeping to fix my hypothermia risk. Got hypothermia and died. RIP.

Hibernia is guaranteed matches in 1 of 3 locations IIRC (next to the lockers, office table top, or on the row of shelves in the bunk room that run along the wall adjoining the locker room). In a DP start I always just head for Hibernia over the ice  for the guaranteed matches - the LH in particular is a death trap at start  and I avoid it even if on the Katie's Corner spawn point. I usually pop in the Riken on the way in because a body and scarf (head gear!) often spawn just inside the hole in the hull.

@cekivi, thanks! And yes I think that's right :) .

Edited by Riotintheair

first stalker run, 20 some odd days in. On the way to ML via Ravine. Enters from CH, decides to peek over the cliff on the left, just before the trestle. I like doing it becase I get more vertigo rush from this than VR games for whatever reason. Unbeknownst to me, there's a 1.5 foot drop in the terrain that's impossible to climb up once you go over. I'm stuck on the opposite side of the fence and no way back on track. I thought to meself, well... I might as well mountain goat down and see what's down there, then reload the last save if there's no way up... find out the hard way about "insta death" fall collision box about 5 feet below the road. "You have died of massive internal injuries from falling." Well dang, a jump button woulda been handy here.

Welp, there she goes.

Edited by KinoUnko
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trudging along, heavy with wood and furs, and half mad with hunger, headed in what I hoped was generally the direction of the Logging Camp. Off to my left I hear a grunting, which sets me sprinting to my right. I was too low on energy to change direction when I realized I was heading up the slope to the old lookout. I turned when I ran out of breath to see a bear galloping around a woodpile  back where I'd come from. I kept heading up the slope thinking maybe I'd be able to get far enough away or break the line of sight, not thinking that I should drop stuff.

I made it about 8 paces before the bear was on me. It wasn't a particularly vicious mauling, there was no gear scattered about. All I could think about as I picked my bleeding self up was how my buddy Mike29 had been unfairly killed by a bear just the other day. Still wobbly, the bear heading down the slope, I took out the rifle and aimed. Blood sprayed, and it mauled me again. I was in pretty bad shape this time so I grabbed the emergency stim from the pack. With the adrenaline coursing through me I picked up the rifle and took aim just as the bear was hanging a left around some rock at the bottom of the slope.

The smart thing to do would be head in the other direction and patch myself up pronto, but this thread ain't about being smart... strafing down the slope, heart pounding like it was going to explode, I took a shot as soon as I could.

Edited by JohnDoe60
  • Upvote 2

This happened two games ago.

My first game in months i decided spawn in TWM and go straight to the top. I had done this plenty of times, so i remember the route without a map. Found a hacksaw in the cabin and opened up a food and a fire cargo container, so i was able to take my time and not rush the climb. I make it to the top and before looting the containers i decided to take some pictures since my stats were good enough and i wasn't in any real rush. I go to where the signal flare gun is (i grab it) and i spot a ledge under the plane that would be good to take pictures from. After getting day and night pictures i find out it's impossible to back up from the ledge. 

So i tried parachuting off of the summit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, codfish107 said:

But since i hadn't grabbed any of the supplies, i didn't have the patience to make it to PV or back up the mountain afterwards.

That makes sense.. but swan-diving off the mountaintop instead somehow doesn't strike me as a better alternative.. ;)

• Upvote 1

Killed a bear in forlorn muskeg then thinking its warm today lets harvest it, tag everything , start harvesting turn over to talk to my son, he reply dad what is written in red... you died because of the cold weather... Darn .... always harvest with a fire beside you ...

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Flannix said:

always harvest with a fire beside you ...

And if you don't, at least keep an eye on the screen, so if the temperature starts dropping, you can cancel/hit the Esc key to abort harvesting.

Welcome to the forums, btw!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

So...I was erm...looking at the glorious sunrise...in the Ravine...on the bridge before the tunnel before the trestle.

I set myself up to take a screenshot on the center of the bridge, getting real close to the edge of the bridge so I could get the scenery only.

When I was done I accidentally hit W instead of S.

That's the last shot of this gif.

It will of course be at the end of my Lara LP as well.

ENJOY!

Beautiful Death.gif

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Just at few minutes ago, I was playing a 60+ days interloper. Just came down to ML from MT with as much stuff as I could possibly haul. I had all the basic gear: bow, hacksaw, hatchet, knife, q-tools, etc. I had crafted the satchel at the Maintenance Yard in BR and was on my way to complete a pair of boots. My plan was to get all the protective hide clothes as well as the bear bedroll.

When I got to Trapper's I had no food on me so I decided to go hunting. I remember that the bear near Trapper's spawns in this playthrough so I make my way to where it was supposed to be. Fog rolls in as I spot the bear but I managed to calmly climb a fallen tree, and lure the bear close to me with a stone. I manage to bring the bear down with one shot and I proceed to light a fire and harvest meat, hide, and guts and deliver them to the cabin.

Now I'm fed, rested, and my condition is at 100% so I'm feeling quite good, but I'm out of water. Went outside to gather sticks and here's where everything changes... I spot the moose. I had a lot of food so I could've just left it for now, but no, I didn't... Somehow I forget everything about hunting moose and I shot it while it could see me. It charged at me and it gets me, but not before I manage to shoot another arrow at it.

Now I'm in deep... I don't have a lot of extra arrowheads so I wasn't about to let two arrowheads go to waste. I bring it down but when I check my condition, it was at 42%, not too bad. Patch myself up and get a fire going, but by the time I stop myself from freezing my condition was at 31%. Now, maybe I should've retreated then since I got my two arrows back, but I didn't have any water left so I needed to make used of the fire as much as I can. I didn't have enough fuel to allow me to both harvest the moose and make water, so I went off to gather sticks. I must've still been feeling the high from the bear hunt because the fact that the area was known to have a wolf entered my mind, I just laughed it off thinking, "Nah, that's not going to happen." Right after I had that thought, sprinted a little to pick up a stick and I saw the wolf. The wolf that I had just thought about, but it was too late too back away. I tried to get my bow out but it was already on top of me. I selected the hatchet and started pumping... I got the bar up more than halfway but it was no use... I died from blood loss and shock from a wolf attack and faded into the long dark.:(:wolf:

Edited by shade_grey
grammar
  • Upvote 3

I played in survival mode, found an hatchet, fought a wolf, tracked it down to eat it. I settled down to make steaks out of it, I even lit a fire to keep meat and me from freezing. As I was busy chopping a bear passed by and demonstrated me that his proud breed is not scared of fire. Not so stupid but disappointing enough.

• Upvote 1

New sandbox character. After two minutes of play, I see circling crows and go to check out the carcass or corpse. A dead deer, good. And rabbits hopping around. I pick up a couple of stones and catch a rabbit. I light a fire near the deer to defrost it and cook, and a wolf shows up, but the fire scares it away. A few seconds later another wolf comes from the opposite direction. The fire scares this one too, and the first one returns. And then again. And again. I walked into the fire.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

I've just remembered a tragically stupid death. When I met the first bear in Wintermute I got scared and as it came my way snarling I tried climbing back up the rope. Poor Will was too tired and a few inches away from the top he fell. The impact was bad, but luckily the bear was there to help...

Another ridiculous way to die: as I was heavily damaged by cold and was attacked by two wolves. No chance to survive a fight, so I decided to light a fire, WITH LIGHTER FLUID. I obviously failed (you know, gasoline is not so flammable), so the first wolf ran away because it was close enough to see the flame. The second was running around and I thought it was fleeing, but apparently it was two inches too far from the flame to be scared and it just wanted to take the long way around a tree, so it turned around and ate me.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Always ready to laugh about myself. I died by wolf attack just near the train wreckage in Mystery Lake. I tried to flee into the wagon but I got stuck in a branch when trying to step on the fallen tree trunk, I panicked and couldn't manage to go around it. Embarassing.

Not death but ridiculous. I decided to start a new Wintermute game, this time at the highest difficulty level. Feeling all cool because now I knew stockpiling wolf furs and sapling is pointless and all that. As soon as I rip the piece of metal off my hand I have a brilliant idea: stand near one of the burning wrecks for warmth. But my temperature doesn't rise. I don't remember it's the beginning of the game and so it's just a one-track tutorial. Maybe I just have to get closer. And closer. And OW, HOT HOT HOT! So Will proudly marched towards Milton in his boxer shorts and socks. I started thinking Grey Mother would gun him down on sight, then remembered she's blind.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Busy man-splaining the game to my girlfriend:

"So, you see you these plants that grow by the river - you can take them for food. They don't give you many calories by themselves, but I've collected about 8 of them here so that should be enough for now. I can eat them before I sleep and recover some of my health condition."

<closes inventory window to see a wolf charging towards me about 10 yards away>

"Wuuuurrraaaagghhhh"

Dead.

• Upvote 2

Right, I seem to be racking these silly deaths up at the moment. This one wasn't strictly my fault, I don't think, but it was so ridiculous that I thought I'd report it.

I was in the repair shed on Broken Railroad on my second night of a new run. I'd spent the previous day there repairing the clothes I'd found to an acceptable level, and planned to head out at first light. It'd started to get dark, and my final task before resting was going to be to light a good long fire to make water and a bunch of exploity-torches. I didn't have any fuel, but there were plenty of crates lying around in the shed. It was already dark, though, so I had to cheat a little:

you can't break down crates in the dark, but you can start to break them if you have a lightsource when you begin the process - it doesn't matter if that lightsource will last the full duration of the crate-breaking process or not. So I just lit a match and then started breaking a crate that would take 1hr30min!

I started breaking up a crate. About half way through that process an aurora must have started, and my crate must have - unknown to me - been right next to an electrical cable. So I was instantly electrocuted and killed in the middle of my crate-breaking. One second I'm watching the progress bar, the next second I'm dead. It's only because I've been electrocuted there before that I was even able to work out what happened!

Anyway, it's probably the most unlikely way that I've ever died in TLD, due to the specific combination of circumstances. I can't really imagine it happening again. Maybe it was karma for gaming the mechanics a bit?

• Upvote 3