Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 9:11 PM, Chester Rico said:

Went to the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. Made arrowheads until I got tired. Went to bed. Never woke up.

(I'm assuming there was a random blizzard and my fire went out.)

Welcome to the forums @Chester Rico^_^

There are two explanations here. The first is your fire went out since it gets really cold on the forlorn muskeg map. But, I've found that your position when you click on the bed also impacts the temperature. The foot of the bed is outside the warmth radius of the forge so you'll freeze. However, at the head of the bed the forge's warmth is correctly accounted for and you'll be toasty all night. At least that's been my experience.  

On 17.8.2017 at 6:42 AM, cekivi said:

Cheers!

On 17.8.2017 at 6:42 AM, cekivi said:

There are two explanations here. The first is your fire went out since it gets really cold on the forlorn muskeg map. But, I've found that your position when you click on the bed also impacts the temperature. The foot of the bed is outside the warmth radius of the forge so you'll freeze. However, at the head of the bed the forge's warmth is correctly accounted for and you'll be toasty all night. At least that's been my experience.  

It's the little mistakes that get you killed in TLD I guess. I left my bearskin bedroll in ML (because that thing weighs a ton). I should've just put down a normal bedroll right next to the forge (or seperate campfire).

My stupid way to die...

interloper, moved on day 21 to FM to finally forge tools and arrow heads.

in the Save i did found a tin with food... cook it, get Foodpoison.....

in my panic of loosing stat ill did go to sleep in the bed for 10 houers ... died.... =-(

Edited by Maquard
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2017 at 0:42 AM, cekivi said:

That is ridiculous and needs patching if true....

Well, stupidest, here goes. Way back when we first got Timberwolf Mountain and when the nights were still blacker than black, I got lost in the dark right behind Mountaineer's. And I mean, right behind it.
During the day I had wandered around for hours and finally found that cabin for the first time. A letsplayer by the YouTube name of aldershot8008 and I were both exploring TW for the first time and at the same time. I found Mountaineer's first :) And, I think I died in TW first too.
So I find the cabin late in the day and go inside for awhile and dump a bunch of stuff since I'm sticking around for awhile...the cabin's the only place I've found so far besides some plane crash parts that were no good to me. I dumped all my wood on the floor. I didn't have any flares left since I'd used all that I found on some wolves.
I fiddled and farted around until I noticed that the temp in the cabin was not great. I got to worrying about getting through the night if I didn't have enough wood. So, I went out back to scout for more wood even though it was getting dark. I can't really see well and can't see any big limbs around which is what I wanted. All of a sudden it's pitch black and I don't even have so much as stick on me. I mean, I'm only a stone's throw from the cabin. Also, my lantern is dryer than a popcorn fart.
I stumble around forever in the dark and I can't see anything. It's very cold and I'm losing condition rapidly. I wander and wander, stumble and fall and I just can't find anything that looks looks like anything. I couldn't even find the lake again.
I finally fade into the long dark....this time literally :D

I learned a bunch of lessons from that one....but....I found that cabin! It was the first time to visit TW and I die there on the first night.......the first time I died on Timberwolf Mountain...but not the last, lol.

I can't believe in one story I've used the word fart...twice :D

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Kaiservadin said:

Had no sticks, and if i could see where sticks where it would be no problem.

I always carry at least 2 sticks, 1 piece of cedar, and 1 coal....and obviously matches and tinder....usually one accelerant for an emergency fire....

Hopefully now that "that" happened to you....so will you...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

I always carry at least 2 sticks, 1 piece of cedar, and 1 coal....and obviously matches and tinder....usually one accelerant for an emergency fire....

Hopefully now that "that" happened to you....so will you...

What that experience teached me was to overload my bag with sticks. :P

Edited by Kaiservadin
Typo
  • Upvote 3

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, Ape88 said:

Well, I didn't die, because I quit and reloaded at the last building I'd entered. However, I decided to explore the area of the ravine that required rope, because I found a mountaineering rope in the cave just right of the train tunnel. Worst idea ever. I wasn't fully energized to begin with and grabbing stuff from down there made it impossible to get back up.

Did you know there is a ledge half way up where you can rest.  big enough to put a sleeping bag down and rest until energy up.

2 hours ago, junglegreen said:

Did you know there is a ledge half way up where you can rest.  big enough to put a sleeping bag down and rest until energy up.

I'd advise against sleeping on the ledge. It may no longer let you select the rope if you do that.....unless they stealth patched it.

The best choice is to sleep in the cave down at the bottom until 100% rested, and then drink a coffee at the bottom. That is like the longest rope in the whole game I think. I would take a breather on the ledge to get your stamina back up, and maybe even drink a second coffee on the ledge....but I wouldn't recommend sleeping on the ledge.....

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, junglegreen said:

Either this was before that was possible or I literally didn't know or I couldn't rest up enough on that ledge. The memory is faint nowadays.

5 hours ago, Ape88 said:

Either this was before that was possible or I literally didn't know or I couldn't rest up enough on that ledge. The memory is faint nowadays.

The ledge is pretty far up there, when you get close enough....or parallel to it, you can click on it. Then you get off the rope and can stand on it until your stamina fill up. Like I said though, that climb....even to the ledge, takes A LOT out of you. Even after being fully rested AND drinking a coffee, I was below half rested by the time I got to the ledge.

That rope is brutal.

Now the sleeping on the ledge bug has never happened to me, but I read about it happening to someone else. Basically after sleeping on the ledge he could no longer click on the rope, because the game was expecting him to click on one end of the rope, or the other....not the middle.

Since he had slept there, then his game was saved to a ledge with a rope that couldn't be clicked on....not a position you want to be in. Pretty much means your run is over unless you manage to mountain goat down and not die....

I believe he eventually committed suicide. I think reading that story is what convinced me to start backing up my saves. Permadeath is fine in a game as long as the game doesn't have bugs that can "cheat" you out of a good run. Dying due to that scenario isn't exactly fair....

Edited by Thrasador

From my own experiences:

1. The ravine climb is worse than Timberwolf Mountain. Come prepared!

2. I remember it being tricky to grab the rope from the ledge but I didn't have any problems getting back on it. 

That being said I am still an update or two behind everyone so take that with a grain of salt! 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

my dumbest way I have died didn't actually kill me outright

killed my first bear EVER, mauled twice in the process (voyager, survived with 15 condition)

went to harvest ALL THE THINGS AT ONCE

didn't realize I had ripped gloves and boots

5 hours of harvesting later I have lost 40% condition due to frost bite (texting a coworker during this so I didn't look at my screen)

lack of health and a few bad decisions eventually spelled my end from fighting 2 wolves at the derailment by the camp office

ahhh memories

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2017 at 0:22 PM, Cattleman said:

EMBER 3, DAY 8

Today feels like a good day, I'm well fed and stocked with water. I decide to return to Trappers for a couple days as wood is getting scarce around Camp Office. I grab a couple steaks from outside the door as I leave and head south skirting the railroad. Its clear but the wind is crisp. Maybe I should give my clothing some attention at Trappers, the wolf attacks have taken their toll. Between the railroad and Max's Last Stand I bump a deer who runs into a wolf at Max's. I drop the wolf but a second is nearby, I'm getting cold so I decide to scare him with fire. I soon hear him bark and I light a fire, he runs away and I quickly attempt to move the fire closer to the dead deer and wolf. But I wasn't fast enough and have to fight him off, after which I immediately light the fire and peel the hide off the wolf. I stoke the fire some and begin to quarter the deer. Having failed to treat his wounds from the most recent wolf encounter, Ember 3 burns out at an alarming rate with everything he needed to save his own life in his pack. If Mother Nature doesn't get get you, your own ignorance will.

The above excerpt from Embers in the Wind is by far the stupidest way I have died to date.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

@Cattleman: I almost did myself in once by successfully killing a bear, resting to get healed up, and then promptly standing in my fire when I went to harvest the bear. Self immolation is a very bad idea! :$

I survived, if only just! 

Lol... I've been know to step in my fires on occasion as well... And it you're right it is a very bad idea.

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Riotintheair said:

I got eaten by a wolf in FM within 2 minutes of spawning once, but the dumbest death by far was walking off the summit of TWF in heavy fog at night (right near the rope climb) on my second try at Hopeless Rescue.

I mountain goated it for the hopeless rescue... I didn't know the area well enough to use the smart route.

• Upvote 1