Falling through trestle bridge

akodo1

It used to be in video games going down ladders were often more dangerous than boss-fights because it was often difficult to start going down them without falling off.

I thought of that as I fell through the bridge.

Do you guys think Hinterlands really purposely designed the bridge so there was a massive risk of fall-through?  Or do you think that it was an 'accident of design' that they ended up purposely keeping?  Or do you think it was an accident of design they just haven't fixed yet?

I thought just the opposite.  It seemed really hard to fall off last time I tried.  Like there was extra invisible safety floor holding you up.

My impression became it looks a lot scarier than it is.  Maybe that changed when they updated the geometry?  Artificial floor is gone?

Which bridge exactly are you talking about? The railbridge in the Ravine?

There's no risk to fall through it at all, at least none that I know of. You just need to balance across the damaged single rail track carefully and make sure your character always stays more or less in the middle of the metal track. 

Edited by Scyzara

Ive never fallen through since the Pleasant Valley update.

Like, @cekivi says, this should be logged as a bug because it isnt intentional that the devs would do that.

Is it while walking or sprinting? I never sprint on it so i dont know if maybe that could trigger it.

Edited by MarrowStone

4 hours ago, akodo1 said:

I don't recall exactly, around the curve?

I was not trying to walk exactly on the 'rail' itself.  Is that supposed to be necessary?

No, its not necessary, but id recommend it next time because i doubt you can clip through the railing as easy as those ties. However this shouldnt happen altogether 

And dont sprint, especially with low fps because youll accidentally run off it (i learned the hard way the first time i crossed and never ran again on it.)

Edited by MarrowStone

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, atomic said:

Each time I go thru this part of the Ravine chills run down my back. Every time I run over these rails I think I'm about to go down. Especially this part is nervewracking... any one fell down here?

screen_a26d0c00-b6c3-4f9a-9bab-0e7ee2c22ef3_hi.png

My first time across it... Yep, learned the hard way to never attempt that bridge in anything even remotely close to a blizzard.  If I hadn't fallen, I probably would have died from the cold before I got completely across to shelter anyways.

My first time, I started thinking too much. "Hmm, this bridge is half destroyed and all shaky, it surely is impossible to just walk upon it, let's search for a spot to tie my climbing rope for safety" and I proceeded to fumble around until I fell down.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Try navigating the new rope bridges in Ash Canyon drunk... and with a blizzard going on.  All I'll say is it makes for an interesting challenge.

I think it's purely a visual effect and that the bridges aren't truly moving. So if you fall off your brain just tricked itself into overcorrecting.

14 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I think it's purely a visual effect and that the bridges aren't truly moving. So if you fall off your brain just tricked itself into overcorrecting.

Agreed... only the ropes are  actually swaying.  Being drunk changes how accurately the player reacts with the controller though.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Try navigating the new rope bridges in Ash Canyon drunk... and with a blizzard going on.  All I'll say is it makes for an interesting challenge.

I think I will leave that one till i have a bit more experience lol. of playing the game that is... I've got plenty of experience of being drunk 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, atomic said:

Each time I go thru this part of the Ravine chills run down my back. Every time I run over these rails I think I'm about to go down. Especially this part is nervewracking... any one fell down here?

screen_a26d0c00-b6c3-4f9a-9bab-0e7ee2c22ef3_hi.png

Yup. :(

I ended a 168 day great Voyageur run by falling through at the broken rails. That was just about a week ago. I was very sad, no save backup. I almost had all locations mapped out for the achievement, I almost had all skills up to level 5 for the achievement.Had my rabbit skin hat and mitts, bear skin bedroll, wolf coat and I had both the crampons and the new backpack. Oh, I also had the moose hide bag. Very sad.

I was crossing the broken rail section and got stuck, couldn't move forward or sideways so I took 1 step back and plummeted to my death. In all honesty I reached for Alt + F4 and missed the right keys before I died. Very sad.

Oh well, lesson learned! Now I'm on about day 60 and am working towards the achievements again. Love this game even when I do dumb things!

Edited by xAnAngelOfDeathx
added info
  • Like 2

What an old topic! So many names I remember and dont see anymore. :/ 

But yea, some parts of the game are intentionally very scary, with combination of this game, being a permadeath. Sad to hear your long run ended so abruptly. 

I have walked the steps many a times before, this trip over the trestle. And yet, even though I can easily walk over it without slowing down, I still crouch and take my time. A bit more time for the extra safety. Now that does not work on the new rope bridges... but I find those to also be an issue of practise as well.

Normally, I personally would just die if it was due to my own stupid mistake (permadeath is a death and it is the teacher most cruel) but in cases like that, I just hit the escape button to go into the game menu and pause it. If it was a glitch, I close the game, "losing the unsaved progress" and reloading from last saved point. Sometimes that means losing a lot of time, but its a small price to pay for all the other effort that would be lost to a glitch. If it werent a glitch and you want to consider it, unpausing can still lead to the death again. Does not work well with animal attacks as those save you to a spot. Works fairly well with falling from high places. This way, you dont have to backup your save files.