More furnaces?

MarrowStone

I think the point of the forge in the Riken is that it's meant to be an exclusive. You HAVE to voyage to the bleak, inhospitable Desolation Point, but camping out there is not easy. It's the developers way of encouraging people to move around a bit. I know that they don't mind hibernating as a playstyle, but what other reason would they have distributing resources so widely?

36 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

I think the point of the forge in the Riken is that it's meant to be an exclusive. You HAVE to voyage to the bleak, inhospitable Desolation Point, but camping out there is not easy. It's the developers way of encouraging people to move around a bit. I know that they don't mind hibernating as a playstyle, but what other reason would they have distributing resources so widely?

Yes, the Forge--as a resource--is part of what sets Desolation Point apart from the other regions (among other things). :)

And although desolate, I do find the Lighthouse to be a rather evocative and unique location to set up base. 

Im no hibernator, i just like to have a set base. But yeah i understand where thats the appeal to encourage players to visit, but why not add a furnace to the derailed train that is very hidden in the transition zone? 

I like the lighthouse too but I feel a bit cramped with my stockpile all over the floors

19 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

The derailed train would be nice because you cant stay there long and not many know about it due to no climbing rope originally there.

My left eyebrow is now currently orbiting in the stratosphere after reading that last comment. Forgive me if I sound patronising, but I can't help but note the following points:

• Metal is heavy, as is the fuel required to heat it to the point of being workable
  • The rope down into the ravine is rather long, and requires a large amount of preparation work before attempting a descent/ascent even with a light load, which brings me to point three -
  • There's only so much coffee and emergency stims in the world!

Those three main issues alone, to me, make the idea of a furnace at the bottom of the ravine unworkable. Unless a less arduous path was added to ease the passage, but then that takes away the ravine's hallmark of difficulty and tension.

As for making things your main base of operations, I tend to "colonise" the world as I proceed. I slowly amass the resources of the surrounding region, then bulk transport those resources on to a beach-head in the next, unexplored region. But whilst doing this, I leave at least 5 days supplies of non perishable food, water, fuel, basic medical supplies and repair materials, plus any duplicate tools that are too heavy to bring along. This way, whenever I have to do a long journey, say from mystery lake to timberwolf mountain, I always have a well supplied waystation to stop over in. Makes planning journeys across the great bear island much easier, and less fraught with danger.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

My left eyebrow is now currently orbiting in the stratosphere after reading that last comment. Forgive me if I sound patronising, but I can't help but note the following points:

• Metal is heavy, as is the fuel required to heat it to the point of being workable
  • The rope down into the ravine is rather long, and requires a large amount of preparation work before attempting a descent/ascent even with a light load, which brings me to point three -
  • There's only so much coffee and emergency stims in the world!

Ive never had to use an e stim or coffe to get down there. And i actually did prepare a smelting run on my way down thinking there would be a furnace there. I made it back up just fine too. 

Thats why i posted this because i thought there could be ast least one other furnace that is accessable on the other side of the map, but more dangerous and planning required than the riken

2 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I can see both arguments. It'd be nice if the train had some more varied loot but I can also see a lot of people thinking they're prepared and then getting wiped out because they can't climb back out. It is a very hard climb if you're not ready for it.

Then theyd learn to be prepared next time ;) it usually takes a bit of experience anyways to first discover that location and secondly haul a rope all the way over there. And if they do implement one, they could always add a ledge to the cliffside as well.

But i definitely see what you're getting at.

12 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

add a ledge to the cliffside as well.

I thought there was a ledge. I remember having to stop partway up to rest on a ledge the last time I went down. If bad weather blows in the ledge is exposed so it'd be really easy to get hypothermic if you try to climb out as a blizzard rolls in. Again, it can be just a learning experience but since there is no guaranteed place to rest if you forget your bedroll you don't want to make climbing the ravine an essential task.

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

I can see both arguments. It'd be nice if the train had some more varied loot but I can also see a lot of people thinking they're prepared and then getting wiped out because they can't climb back out. It is a very hard climb if you're not ready for it.

By ledge i meant adding another one midway between again. Oops.

Double oops, i quoted the wrong post, oh well. Haha

Personally, I'd like to see the forge at a place where it makes sense - maybe a small tool workshop outside Hibernia Processing. Don't get me wrong, the Riken in an of itself is a cool location, but how many whaling ships have a fully functioning smithy aboard? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

As for locations for another furnace/forge, @Patrick Carlson already pointed out that the forge is what makes DP special (although I, personally, disagree - for me, it's the lighthouse and the creepy Hibernia processing, but that's just my personal tastes), however, something similar, perhaps with a heat-debuff (i.e. it heats up slower and uses more fuel) would make sense in the PV farmstead, perhaps randomizing if that burnt down or not to balance it. 

I have to admit though that the forge has always been a pet-peeve of mine for various reasons (although the most important one was recently dispelled as I watched a guy on youtube build a furnace from scratch in the Australian outback and smelt iron ore in it), so maybe I'm not really qualified here. I'm gonna post it anyway :D 

Im completely ok with forge being where it is.

Its a location of fairly low interest, so placing it somewhere god knows where is fairly logical. Right now it simply lacks any extended usability to have need for additional one. Travel there once, make bunch of arrowheads and forget about it.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Its a location of fairly low interest, so placing it somewhere god knows where is fairly logical. Right now it simply lacks any extended usability to have need for additional one. Travel there once, make bunch of arrowheads and forget about it.

That's the biggest problem with the forge and Desolation Point as a whole: you only need to go there once...

Pity they haven't added another transition zone to Desolation Point (so you could travel through it) or give more items that can be forge crafted...

And I just realized as a mod I've completely derailed this thread! :big_smile:

On topic, I remain ambivalent since I've only ever needed to use the forge when play testing interloper.

15 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Bad, bad @cekivi, drop the thread, its not a chewing toy. 8)

I think that forge was more of a test of how it could work and it kinda was left in this way, half-done. I think wel see more uses for it in the future. Otherwise its just 2 insignificant.

Yeah, im thinking the same thing, perhaps theyre saving some of the cool toys it could make for story mode or something?

Also, considering there wouldnt be a steam engine around in 2018 (minimum year the story takes place) im going to have to drop my idea of it being at the ravine. Maybe some randomly generated  basement like Harris Home? That way you have to look for it?

Welp, I don't know how to unhide this post (it originally contained a reference to the test branch) so I'll just repost it instead :)

On 2016-09-16 at 0:45 PM, Dirmagnos said:

That's the biggest problem with the forge and Desolation Point as a whole: you only need to go there once...

Pity they haven't added another transition zone to Desolation Point (so you could travel through it) or give more items that can be forge crafted...

And I just realized as a mod I've completely derailed this thread! :big_smile:

On topic, I remain ambivalent since I've only rarely felt that I've needed to use the forge when playing.

You only have to go anywhere once because nothing respawns.

You don't have to go to DP at all, as enough arrow heads can be looted elsewhere. There is no real benefit to having to having a million arrowheads, you can only shoot one at a time and you get the head refunded when you harvest the broken arrow.

Many times you think you have lost an arrow because it is not visible in whatever corpse you created, but if you carefully mouse over the entire body you will more often than not find your arrow.

Archived