Wastelander

Ten facts about you

128 posts in this topic

So, lads 'n lasses, let's do this. In this thread, we all list ten facts about ourselves, from the funny to the informative to the embarassing and so on. As a good OP, I'll start!

  1. I cut my hair by myself
  2. I actually bought TLD twice, once on GOG and once on Steam
  3. I'm a huge fan of Vinnie Veritas 
  4. I have traveled past Hitler's birthplace once.
  5. I can speak semi-fluent Bavarian
  6. My favorite food is mom's spaghetti, seriously and with all memes cast aside
  7. I studied medieval and ancient weapons so much I can't watch historical films without cringing. Yes, this has ruined dates.
  8. I smoke
  9. I'm afraid of dogs, but at the same time I want a puppy to cuddle with
  10. I am almost violently opposed to minors having internet access

So, how about you?

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this will get interesting..

1. my middle name is Murphy
2. i'm a die-hard fallout fan. not fallout 4 though. fallout 4 sucks.
3. i own a guitar that i never learned to play
4. i quit skateboarding when i fell on my face trying to pull off my first ollie. easy come, easy go xD
5. i've watched every season of breaking bad, sons of anarchy, and the walking dead with my dad
6. my favorite meal is hamburger steak with onions and gravy, toast, baked potato, salad and sweet tea.
7. im in a long distance relationship with a girl from england, and we've been happily together for 3 years (on and off)
8. i have a permanent scar on my forehead from a childhood mishap. bashed my head open on the fireplace.
9. i dream to be an alaskan bush pilot
10. the only things i watch on youtube are music videos and Jacksepticeye.

wish this were a "20 facts" topic. i have so many more to share xD

Edited by Tbone555
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember to please not include any personally identifiable information on this thread ^_^

But in the spirit of fun:

  1. Grad school has made me part vampire (I work mostly evenings/nights)
  2. Mystery Lake reminds me a lot of my backyard (minus the railway tracks)
  3. I'm a dog person, not a cat person (though some cats are OK)
  4. The starting ingredient for one of my compounds in my thesis is also a flavouring in artificial popcorn butter. This has drastically reduced my enthusiasm for movie popcorn! :D
  5. I've walked up on bears in real life - they're terrifying! :bear:
  6. I once caught a fish by being lazy and dragging my rod in the water as I walked up stream to the next fishing hole.
  7. On cold days the worst part of ice fishing is catching fish. Your hands freeze solid! :silly:
  8. Fall's my favourite time of year: warm days, crisp nights and no bugs!
  9. Canada's really big: I've driven for 20 hours without ever leaving Ontario.
  10. I also really enjoy board games.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've only got 5 things to share so if that's ok cool...

1. I love documentaries, especially with reenactments of historical events

2. I love Hispanic culture, architecture, and music (this is very common in states like California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas where Spain once possessed them as colonies)

3. I am a strong supporter of education, especially European style education.

4. I hate bees

5. I always wanted to be a hobby rancher in the American Southwest. I know, I have some of the weirdest traits lol :)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...

1. I have Asperger's

2: I'm named after a prophet, a preacher, and a bath towel.

3: I once worked as a Correctional Officer in a women's prison, no it is nothing like Orange is the New Black.

4: I have rarely left my home state, not because I don't like travel, but I haven't see this whole state yet, so why try others.

5: I can strip, clear, and re-assemble an M4 carbine, in the dark, in about a minute.

6: I've been stabbed.

7: I hold degrees in Psychology, Military History, and German Language and Culture.

8: Despite a hard life, I have never broken a bone. Well, not my own bone anyway.

9: I was an Associate Professor of Computer Science.

10: I'm allergic to most animals with fur, we have a pet Eastern Box Turtle as a result.

Because I like things that go to 11: I'm an ordained minister.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cekivi said:

Remember to please not include any personally identifiable information on this thread ^_^

 

Right, should've said so in my first post, sorry.

But damn, some really interesting people here! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ten things you might not know about me, you say?


1: My favourite books are the Jack Aubrey & Stephen Maturin historical naval novels by Patrick O'Brien. All of life is in them.

2: Favourite film is probably Orlando by Sally Potter, starring Tilda Swinton. It's about a young man in the Elizbethan age who never grows old, and who wakes up in the Georgian period as a woman. The film continues into the 21st century. It's beautiful, funny and has the best historical depiction ever in its recreation of the frozen Thames and courtier life of the Elizabethan age. Close runners-up are the films Robocop, Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, Badlands and Witness. 

3: You may not think it to look at me, but I can mingle really, really well.

4: Had a childhood fear of electricity pylons, believing them to be martian tripods.

5: My only real life Long Dark survival skill is archery.

6: Have only been to Canada once, got beaten up by a crazy guy under a bridge. Will remember to drop raw meat on ground and run, next time.

7: Owing to typo on birth certificate has a Hebrew girl's name for a middle name. Secretly likes it.

8: Am a Brit who likes to photograph. Mainly small American towns in out of the way places. Have also been embedded a Union regiment documenting their experiences in the war between the states - only with it all being photographed here in the UK. Yes, there are US Civil War reenactors in the UK. several hundred of them.

9: Am a lapsed Orthodox Geek who is really beginning to hate fanboy culture and what it's doing to cinema.

10: Am currently at the bottom of your garden, looking in. I see you, reader.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nervous Pete said:

10: Am currently at the bottom of your garden, looking in. I see you, reader.

Joke's on you, I have no garden unless you count the colony of funghi I try to keep from growing in my kitchen ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, miah999 said:

Ok...

1. I have Asperger's

2: I'm named after a prophet, a preacher, and a bath towel.

3: I once worked as a Correctional Officer in a women's prison, no it is nothing like Orange is the New Black.

4: I have rarely left my home state, not because I don't like travel, but I haven't see this whole state yet, so why try others.

5: I can strip, clear, and re-assemble an M4 carbine, in the dark, in about a minute.

6: I've been stabbed.

7: I hold degrees in Psychology, Military History, and German Language and Culture.

8: Despite a hard life, I have never broken a bone. Well, not my own bone anyway.

9: I was an Associate Professor of Computer Science.

10: I'm allergic to most animals with fur, we have a pet Eastern Box Turtle as a result.

Because I like things that go to 11: I'm an ordained minister.

Ah, interesting story!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, well, well. Such an interesting group. I'm not sure I can live up to the present company, but here goes.

1. I've lived in northern New England almost my entire life, a short, post college stint in Atlanta being the only exception, and I've never traveled outside the USA, except to Canada.

2. Speaking of, I'm a duel citizen, My mother was born and raised in Canada. 

3. My favorite food is Donairs. If you've never been to the Maritimes,  you wont get it. 

4. In my junior year of high school, I scored a 96% on my asvab test for early acceptance to the National Guard,  and then got disqualified from serving because of abnormalities in my feet.

5. My bucket list contains two things, and two things only. To Thru-hike the big 3, and to see the sun set over the pacific ocean. I've spent my life watching it rise over the Atlantic.

6. I was one of the youngest people to ever pass the full test to become a Registered Maine Guide.

7. Spiders make me cry like a little girl having her ponytail pulled.

8. I was once attacked by a pack (7) of wild coyotes, and fought them off with thrown rocks and a stick.

9-A. I spent many many years as a volunteer firefighter and EMT, fought my first fire with an antique fire truck, alone, at the age of 15, saving a barn full of sheep and goats, but losing the house.

9-B,  I don't like ending lists with even numbers. 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TROY said:

Well, well, well. Such an interesting group. I'm not sure I can live up to the present company, but here goes.

1. I've lived in northern New England almost my entire life, a short, post college stint in Atlanta being the only exception, and I've never traveled outside the USA, except to Canada.

2. Speaking of, I'm a duel citizen, My mother was born and raised in Canada. 

3. My favorite food is Donairs. If you've never been to the Maritimes,  you wont get it. 

4. In my junior year of high school, I scored a 96% on my asvab test for early acceptance to the National Guard,  and then got disqualified from serving because of abnormalities in my feet.

5. My bucket list contains two things, and two things only. To Thru-hike the big 3, and to see the sun set over the pacific ocean. I've spent my life watching it rise over the Atlantic.

6. I was one of the youngest people to ever pass the full test to become a Registered Maine Guide.

7. Spiders make me cry like a little girl having her ponytail pulled.

8. I was once attacked by a pack (7) of wild coyotes, and fought them off with thrown rocks and a stick.

9-A. I spent many many years as a volunteer firefighter and EMT, fought my first fire with an antique fire truck, alone, at the age of 15, saving a barn full of sheep and goats, but losing the house.

9-B,  I don't like ending lists with even numbers. 

 

Are there a lot of French Canadians in New England?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@Diamondz

Folks of French Heritage are common in Northern Maine and Eastern Maine, but less so elsewhere. They are closely related to the Acadian French that settled in Lousiana. 

Edited by TROY
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TROY said:

I spent many many years as a volunteer firefighter and EMT, fought my first fire with an antique fire truck, alone, at the age of 15, saving a barn full of sheep and goats, but losing the house

I bet that's an interesting story to tell :winky:

Yeah, one of these days I'll see a Pacific sunset. Farthest west I've gone was the Rockies. As someone who never saw mountains until I was in my 20's that was quite an experience! :D

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TROY said:

 

@Diamondz

Folks of French Heritage are common in Northern Maine and Eastern Maine, but less so elsewhere. They are closely related to the Acadian French that settled in Lousiana. 

Ah, ok cool!!!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll pitch in I guess, this sounds like fun!

1. I was born in Newfoundland, live in Ontario and can say I've been from Sea to Sea here.

2. I own a chinchilla.

3. I grew up with and still have severe ADHD!

4. I learned how to program the Commodore 64 from my Grandma when I was little! (She started my gaming early!)

5. I am trained as a Jeweler. (Goldsmith)

6. I write stories as a hobby.

7. I'm allergic to spiders!

8. I have a skill called perfect tonal recall. I can hear a melody and sing it back to you almost immediately. It also leads me to be able to recall most song lyrics after a single listening or two.

9. I have no favorite genre of music. I love it all. Even in a language I don't know. 

10. I'm a big supporter of a lot of Canadian bands but I will always be partial to Marianas Trench, who I've been a fan of since they began as a tiny indie nobody 15 years ago!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Felli said:

I have a skill called perfect tonal recall. I can hear a melody and sing it back to you almost immediately. It also leads me to be able to recall most song lyrics after a single listening or two.

Wow ! :o

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. I like call of duty,battlefield and halo.

2. My favourite weapon is a sniper rifle.

3. I like heights and tall buildings.

4. I'm from Australia.

5. Despite being from Australia. I like the cold.

6. My current favourite game is uncharted 4.

7. If I see a spider I won't stop until it's dead I once spent 45 minutes hunting down a spider in my house.

8. I'm new to the long dark. I started playing 3 weeks ago.

9. My favourite region in the long dark is Timberwolf mountain.

10. I spent 5 minutes thinking of something to put here but I gave up and click on the submit reply button.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rifleman said:

1. I like call of duty,battlefield and halo.

2. My favourite weapon is a sniper rifle.

3. I like heights and tall buildings.

4. I'm from Australia.

5. Despite being from Australia. I like the cold.

6. My current favourite game is uncharted 4.

7. If I see a spider I won't stop until it's dead I once spent 45 minutes hunting down a spider in my house.

8. I'm new to the long dark. I started playing 3 weeks ago.

9. My favourite region in the long dark is Timberwolf mountain.

10. I spent 5 minutes thinking of something to put here but I gave up and click on the submit reply button.

Can I hire you as a spider hunter? I'm allergic to them, you hate them. It's cold in the winter here in Canada. Win-win!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rifleman said:

7. If I see a spider I won't stop until it's dead I once spent 45 minutes hunting down a spider in my house.

 

Well, this is definitely one of the most Australian things I ever read here ;) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Carlson said:

Good stuff in here! Nice learning more about all of you. :durbear:

Don't you want to take part in it ?? :) 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Good stuff in here! Nice learning more about all of you. :durbear:

 

18 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

Don't you want to take part in it ?? :) 

 

This. I'll even pitch in ten more of mine (In accordance to forum rules, of course) ;) 

  • I listen to soundtracks more than any other type of music
  • I used to write anime fanfiction
  • I am currently working on a pen&paper RPG called "HERETIC" where the PCs are mages in a roughly-1920's-former-fantasy-world. Needless to say, there's an Inquisition and it's not nice.
  • I joined the Hinterland forums to get new info quickly, but I stayed for the people (love y'all :x)
  • I am actually afraid of conversing directly with offical Hinterland employees because I don't want to say anything wrong :$
  • I am pretty tsundere about Desolation Point. I-it's not like I want to survive you, baka! -_-
  • In a TLD-like-event, I'd be the first to die probably. I'd make a nice bad example though!
  • If there is one thing noone is better at than I am, it's embarassing myself online.
  • I like to fix things instead of discard them.
  • Nobody calls me chicken B|
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

I am actually afraid of conversing directly with offical Hinterland employees because I don't want to say anything wrong

Me too ! :/ 

Edited by alone sniper
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  I make killer Khao Soi (Thai style).

2.  I resigned my law partnership at 38 to sail around the world.

3.  I never made it out of the Gulf of Mexico. :(  

4.  I was diagnosed with MS at the age of 23.

5.  I have two rescue pit bulls.

6.  I double majored in Art & Art History and Religious Studies; I have a minor in Physics.

7.  I once performed cosmetic surgery on my own face.

8.  I played Number 8 on my college rugby team

9.  I love All Fives.

10.  Margaret Thatcher once saw me naked.

Edited by Thurman Merman
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thurman Merman said:

6.  I double majored in Art & Art History and Religious Studies; I have a minor in Physics.

 

You are now my friend and my go-to source for these topics aside history. No, you don't get a say in this ;)

1 minute ago, Thurman Merman said:

10.  Margaret Thatcher once saw me naked.

I think this is the perfect opportunity for storytime!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now