Bears

Rifleman

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Odd.  I just rely in the SUPER LOUD SNUFFLING NOISE to warn me a bear is nearby.  :winky:

Both are quite loud, really. If I could choose -- detrimentally to myself, since I haven't yet killed a bear, out of plain concern of being killed --, I'd turn their volume down.

And as a guess I'd say that crows circle bears as scavengers; they know bears kill things and that if they wait enough there'll be free lunch for them.

59 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

And as a guess I'd say that crows circle bears as scavengers; they know bears kill things and that if they wait enough there'll be free lunch for them.

Bear does not produce nowhere near sufficient amount of leftovers to feed even small murder of crows. Its not the same as with sharks.

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Odd.  I just rely in the SUPER LOUD SNUFFLING NOISE to warn me a bear is nearby.  :winky:

A friend's dog makes almost the same noise. I'm never gonna sleep over at his place again, I tell ya.

As for the crows, do they actually circle predators? I never noticed that. I always use crows to lead me to corpses, especially when I know a rifle spawn is nearby.

2 hours ago, Rifleman said:

What I meant to say is remove the crows squawking at the bear because I play this game with the volume up very high and the crows always tell me when a bear is nearby.

AH so it WAS a complaint! :D

But I actually don"t get it. Is this really a "feature" in the game? Do crows constantly follow bears around and make noises so the player hears them all the time? That's a bit weird, but if it's more like "IF a bear HAPPENS to pass some crows they'll make a noise." then I can't see the problem since that's completely logical. :P

On the topic of bears, I am looking forward to Grizzlies. Though I went camping in Yosemite as a child and all the bear precautions scared the bejeesus out of me. Particularly since my grandfather had his car door removed on probably five separate occasions. Bears are scary. I feel like large food caches should be attracting more bear attention and there should be something besides a bedroll to craft from the majestic, scary beasts.

Really? I haven't noticed at all. I've been sneaked up on by a bear once and I didn't see or hear any crows (broad daylight)... but I think I'll have to pay attention a little more so I don't die because that bear messed me up twice and I died haha Not fun...

Never noticed the crows following bears... I have come around a few corners, out of a door, etc and suddenly bumped into a bear though... That'll wake you up QUICK!

Recently I was going bear hunting (in game) and couldn't find him... Turns out he was close, he just blended in with the rock and suddenly he popped up on his hind legs and roared at me. It didn't end well for either of us, but I think I got the better end of the deal! :durbear:

Sam

I can't find on the interwebs why would crows follow bears. My bet still is on crows waiting to scavenge whatever remains of the bear's kills.

It's worth noting -- or at least so it seems to me -- that we don't see crows following/circling wandering bears; we just hear them. Whenever a bear gets near (and as long as it's day, as ceviki mentioned), we can hear the caws.

And @cekivi meant "after dark" in the sense of "after sunset", "at night".

Guys, relax. Unless the Devs added it as a stealth feature within the last few weeks (which I highly doubt) crows do of course not generally cycle over bears. I've hunted dozens, if not even hundreds of bears since v.200 and not a single one of them was ever accompanied by even a single crow.

Maybe the crows scream if a bear walks past 'their' deer carcass by chance, but I haven't even experienced that part yet to be honest.

40 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Guys, relax. Unless the Devs added it as a stealth feature within the last few weeks (which I highly doubt) crows do of course not generally cycle over bears. I've hunted dozens, if not even hundreds of bears since v.200 and not a single one of them was ever accompanied by even a single crow.

Maybe the crows scream if a bear walks past 'their' deer carcass by chance, but I haven't even experienced that part yet to be honest.

Next time you see a bear in daylight turn the volume up and you will hear the crows

Archived