Auto-walk

c00per

Auto walk = WOW, LOL! First world problem!

Sorry guys, but it's sounds so pathetic. Don't you want to have a slave just to play the game instead of you? I bet it would be more comfortable for you and your family as well!

Pushing that W button is so f**in' hard, uncomfy and annoying as well! I know! And you could eat more burgers and donuts if you don't have to use your hand while playing. And that's awesome!

Lazy ******!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry guys, but it's sounds so pathetic. Don't you want to have a slave just to play the game instead of you?

If you go back to the original poster, you'd see he (she?) mentions old age and arthritis. Which, I think, are valid points.

Personally, I don't need a lock-key; I can push on that keyboard all day long and not feel the strain, but for older players, yeah, I can see why that would come as a relief.

• 2 weeks later...
Auto walk = WOW, LOL! First world problem!

Sorry guys, but it's sounds so pathetic. Don't you want to have a slave just to play the game instead of you? I bet it would be more comfortable for you and your family as well!

Pushing that W button is so f**in' hard, uncomfy and annoying as well! I know! And you could eat more burgers and donuts if you don't have to use your hand while playing. And that's awesome!

Lazy ******!

Thank you for that insult...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who doesn't like the auto-walk feature doesn't need to use it.

Personally, I don't think about it most times, but occasionally, when I'm playing, and have to just truck large distances, I wouldn't mind lighting up a smoke, or anything without my left arm being glued to the keyboard.

No offense to all the people who have nothing better in their lives than to hold W down and watch a screen full of fog and no-visibility. I know that's fun for you based on the insults you've thrown at people with a good suggestion. But to me, it's not why I play this game, and I think it's boring to stare at fog for a good 30 minutes of real life.

Being able to take my hand off the keyboard makes me feel like less of a loser playing video games when I have a normal life too. It's a psychological reason for me. Not fatigue or arthritis.

I also think you should be able to be walking while you look at your status. I know when I'm cold / tired / hungry / thirsty without having to stop walking.

I bring them up together because they are related. Travel is essential to the game, because large distances can be dangerous and exciting. However, boredom isn't essential at all. I play the game for conservationism. I meditate on it. Walking to and fro? The thought of having to sit down for 30 minutes and hold W and nothing more makes it possible to not pick up the game again.

I'm not suggesting auto-travel, which has been employed in many successful releases. But something to reduce the monotony and boredom of a long walk.

Auto walk option in menu [click]. Double Tap "w" = toggle. Haters don't have to enable it. Happy times.

• 5 months later...

Just what the title suggests.  An auto-walk button, so I don't have to hold W for hours on long hikes.  All it would do is move the person forward, all navigation is still in the players hands ....errrr mouse.   If you walk into a tree, it keeps going, if you walk off a cliff, well pay attention.   Anything could potentially turn it off, pushing another button, mouse clicking, taking damage ect..

5 hours ago, Crabcus said:

If you hold W, then Shift+Tab, release W, and exit the steam overlay, you'll move forward without pressing the W key. If you want to cancel this, just press W, or any of the movement keys, if I recall correctly.

That does nothing on my computer, but I have remapped some keys.

+1 for Auto-walk.

• 10 months later...

Bump! 

Hello all, new here. First post!

I'd like to add one more for an auto-walk feature for those of us with wrist / hand issues.

It would be very nice to not have to limit my play time to 15 min at a time on account of having to constantly having to hold that forward key down on long walks.

-L

First, let me add my +1 to this. For us older guys, pain in the finger joints is a reality when playing more than a half hour or so at a time. 

Now, does anyone else find it funny that we're getting immersed in a game depicting an ongoing life or death struggle, we climb mountains, fight wolves, fight through frost bite and hypothermia but complain that we want to make pushing a button easier. Talk about first world problems :) 

For everyone here who uses Windows, at least, here's your autowalk solution.

(I use a modified version of @Ruruwawa's script, which is further down the page)

12 hours ago, chuckie said:

It would be easier to drink tea/coffee/beer on the go

It most certainly does make it much easier to do that! <raises beer in toast to @KyopaxaB|

15 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I've gotten tendonitis more than once from using keyboards and mice all day at work, then going home and playing TLD.

PLEASE give us an auto-walk key to keep my medical bills down and to reduce the amount of anti-inflammatories and pain meds I have to take.

Please :$

This. there are some people with conditions that make holding down the w key for hours at a time unbearable.

Just like the "hold to loot" thing, there's an option in the settings to turn it off for people with carpal tunnel. which I'm starting to develop in my right hand. (Hopefully that gets better. I don't want that, being an active gamer. I'll just have to pop a Tylenol and get over it:P )

Anyway, maybe we could make the auto-walk an optional setting like that. then everyone will be happy.

11 hours ago, nicko said:

ha no you have to earn your walk, press the 'w' key on your keyboard to walk.

What are your ideas to make it more accessible? help the devs? suggest your idea..

How's this for a suggestion : 

Some gamers develop carpal tunnel syndrome  or tendinitis and just quit gaming.

Which means we quit buying games, which means the industry has less money.   Like that suggestion?  :P

An alternative:  Games include an auto-walk key... so those of us that have a condition with constantly holding keys causing pain can still play.  Without pain. 

21 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

How's this for a suggestion : 

Some gamers develop carpal tunnel syndrome  or tendinitis and just quit gaming.

Which means we quit buying games, which means the industry has less money.   Like that suggestion?  :P

No need to act sarcastic. that can come off the wrong way to some people. try to keep things more civil :)

Did you read my post? having a "toggle walk" option for players with CTS or other conditions would be the best solution I think. just like you can go into toggle the settings and enable / disable the hold to loot

2 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

No need to act sarcastic. that can come off the wrong way to some people. try to keep things more civil :)

Did you read my post? having a "toggle walk" option for players with CTS or other conditions would be the best solution I think. just like you can go into toggle the settings and enable / disable the hold to loot

My apologies for the grouchiness. . . sometimes certain concepts of humor just rub me the wrong way:$

Yes you are definitely correct: that toggle walk option for people like me who are susceptible to tendonitis ought to be an option in every game. In my old age, I seem to get it more and more often.

Archived