Crafting riffle ammunition

Rifleman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

I was under the impression that mercury fulminate was phased out as a primer in the 1980s, something to do with environmental and health concerns.

Actually mercury was phased out mostly because it's bad for your gun, the eco benefits are just a bonus. Although for the most part mercury was just replaced with lead.

"Today, mercury fulminate has been replaced in primers by more efficient chemical substances. These are non-corrosive, less toxic and more stable over time; they include lead azide, lead styphnate and tetrazene derivatives. In addition, none of these compounds require mercury for manufacture, supplies of which can be unreliable in wartime."

3 hours ago, Rifleman said:

image.thumb.png.ceee0e64102488b5e8bf4b35that scrap metal is going to become useful in the future 

I can honestly say to you now, if you use scrap metal for gunsmithing, I'd estimate your life expectancy is around 4-5 months at best.

They would have to introduce high quality metal, to differentiate it from scrap.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

I can honestly say to you now, if you use scrap metal for gunsmithing, I'd estimate your life expectancy is around 4-5 months at best.

They would have to introduce high quality metal, to differentiate it from scrap.

Good thing that this game has a rifle cleaning kit

48 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

Good thing that this game has a rifle cleaning kit

What? No.

A cleaning kit is for removing powder residue and fouling from the bullet jacket, it is not a protection from your gun exploding in your hands.

You do not build a precision piece of equipment like a rifle from scrap metal. You don't build a device within such strict tolerances out of junk and spare bolts. Same for ammo.

8 hours ago, EternityTide said:

What? No.

A cleaning kit is for removing powder residue and fouling from the bullet jacket, it is not a protection from your gun exploding in your hands.

You do not build a precision piece of equipment like a rifle from scrap metal. You don't build a device within such strict tolerances out of junk and spare bolts. Same for ammo.

When I was talking about scrap metal I was talking about the mod support so you can use mods for easy ammunition 

Wow, so many thing things i never knew before about guns.  However, for all the gun purists out there, (not insulting, just calling it) its a survival game.  would you rather have A) home made small game bow (thats the discription) or B) a home made black powder gun when u fight the bear or moose?   Well, I personally, would choose the gun that might (30%+ chance) to blow up in my face rather than piss off the BFB, with some dinky little bow that I still havent figured out how to hit the side of a barn with.  Gunpowder can be made with all sorts of crap.  its not going to be pretty, but again survival and being desparate.  Just my 2 cents.

Also, I love the gold angle for ammo.  Can you say pan-handling (that is what its called I believe).   Plenty of rivers around, and ya its not going to be easy, but someone has a thread about hobbies.....

Scrap metal doesn't necessarily have to be steel, (but that is what our in game scrap looks like...)  there's plenty of copper and lead around. Back when the scrap prices were at their peak anything made out of copper was disappearing, pipe, live electrical wire, you name it. One scrapyard even had a couple tweakers come in with a load of grave markers that "looked like copper"  If memory serves they were bronze plated iron...

I wonder, how would aluminum fare as a bullet material? It's soft but it sure doesn't weight much

Sam

@Tarflink Honestly I'd prefer the bow and avoid the bear, but If I was going to build an anti-bear weapon with explosives and scrap, it would be a pipe-bomb.

@Rusty_Old_F250 Bullet weight is very important, while an aluminium bullet could be accelerated to super high speeds with less powder than lead. They would still do little damage due to their low mass. You also run the risk of the bullet disintegrating, if you have too much (read normal amount) powder behind it. But all that aside aluminium is soft enough to take the rifling, so they should be accurate.

Now I should take a moment to note that aluminium cased ammunition is a thing, just not that common. Also there are some aluminium pistol bullets designed as frangible (disintegrate on impact) ammo for use by Air-Marshals. They are high velocity, pre-scored, and will shatter into almost dust when they hit anything more solid than meat. They might stop a wolf up close, but are pretty useless for hunting. I personally have never seen aluminium used as either a rifle shell case, or bullet.

One last slightly off topic point: All this discussion of bullets has made me think that when the pistol is added, it would be nice to find some hollow-point bullets for it, for increased stopping power, as well as the standard ball ammo. But this would mean needing a system to choose what to load your gun with. This adds another layer of decision making to the game. Do I load up with the rarer better ammo, or save it for when I'm desperate. The same applies to the rifle they could have premium rifle ammo, as well as standard ball. 

There is a terrific video on youtube of a guy trying to live off his block of land, being as self sufficient as he can be. He actually made blackpowder from his own pee and fired a cannon through a car door with it, it was pretty impressive to watch the entire process from peeing in the pile of compost, to his cannon punching a massive hole through a steel sheet.

Messy, and makeshift, but it certainly worked in a pinch.

1 hour ago, Nyarlathotep said:

There is a terrific video on youtube of a guy trying to live off his block of land, being as self sufficient as he can be. He actually made blackpowder from his own pee and fired a cannon through a car door with it, it was pretty impressive to watch the entire process from peeing in the pile of compost, to his cannon punching a massive hole through a steel sheet.

Do you have a link of this video

8 hours ago, Nyarlathotep said:

Welcome to the forums, great old one, may you deliver upon us forbidden knowledge ;)

A question: Messy and makeshift. Would that influence accuracy/rifle decay in any sort of way?

Bat guano is an excellent source of potassium nitrate, and charcoal is piss easy to get, the issue would probably be sourcing sulphur. If you can find a fumarole, you might be able to find sulphur deposits, but I don't think Vancouver island is that volcanic.

Of course, the quality of these materials is not assured, so the quality of the final product is also uncertain

12 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Welcome to the forums, great old one, may you deliver upon us forbidden knowledge ;)

A question: Messy and makeshift. Would that influence accuracy/rifle decay in any sort of way?

Cheers for the welcome =]

The makeshift powder would leave some nasty residue down the barrel in its wake and therefore would not be very good in most [if not all] modern day weapons, but a homemade muzzle loaded blunderbuss would be fine.

I imagine the skittishness of deer would demand some pretty fancy footwork to be able to get close enough to land an effective shot, but a bear on the other hand... 

14 hours ago, miah999 said:

Low quality powder would both lower accuracy (by affecting muzzle velocity), and quickly destroy a modern rifle designed for smokeless powder.

However if your building a "bamboo cannon" neither of those things matter.

The comment that says I fish with grenades and hunt with a machine gun 

how do you do that

35 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

The comment that says I fish with grenades and hunt with a machine gun 

how do you do that

You can add a signature block in the forum settings menu. Click on your name in the upper right, then Account Settings, then the Signature tab.

If you were asking a more literal question, the answer is: very carefully.

1 hour ago, miah999 said:

You can add a signature block in the forum settings menu. Click on your name in the upper right, then Account Settings, then the Signature tab.

If you were asking a more literal question, the answer is: very carefully.

Thanks 

Archived