.22 rifle

SzalonyNiemiec

They should be. I'm not sure what kind of fowl are found in the far north, but if there are any it'd be nice to be able to hunt them. Get some feathers and some meat at the same time!
I'm not sure how many people would realistically have a .22 rifle up there, though; it seems like the rifle would be as much for defense against wildlife as it would be for hunting, so why bother with something that'll struggle to take down a wolf?

On 7/4/2016 at 9:35 AM, strigon said:

I'm not sure how many people would realistically have a .22 rifle up there, though; it seems like the rifle would be as much for defense against wildlife as it would be for hunting, so why bother with something that'll struggle to take down a wolf?

Because .22 ammo is much less expensive than say .223 Rem or larger hunting calibers. There would be more opportunities to hunt smaller game (rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, doves/pigons, racoons, possum, fox, etc) than larger game. It would definitely make sense to have a .22 rifle with a scope on it as your "critter-getter" to go alone with a larger center-fired hunting cartridge. 

32 minutes ago, minuteman said:

Because .22 ammo is much less expensive than say .223 Rem or larger hunting calibers. There would be more opportunities to hunt smaller game (rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, doves/pigons, racoons, possum, fox, etc) than larger game. It would definitely make sense to have a .22 rifle with a scope on it as your "critter-getter" to go alone with a larger center-fired hunting cartridge. 

This is true; I wouldn't mind having a more commonly found rifle. As it stands, the current rifle and ammo are astoundingly rare, which has always befuddled me, as I think a lot of people up there would have a rifle. Or at least, not have one single cartridge lying underneath their dining room table.

Archived