A Witness to the Quiet Apocalypse - A collection of Journal Entries ((ON HOLD))

------------

Day 20

------------

Morning (-11°c) Partly Cloudy

I slept well into the morning, most likely a result of both carrying a heavy load and the wolf run-in. Breakfast was the meat from said animal in a large quantity. (I don't care much for wolf meat so I plan to eat it quickly.) with that out of the way, I plan on heading over to the clearing to check my snares and possibly search the nearby pond for more lichen. Ideally, I would prefer to have extra reishi as well, just in case.

Afternoon (3°c) Overcast

I decided to head for the little pond first. Being a bit farther away, it made the most sense to head there and grab the snares on my way back. It ensured that if the weather turned sour, I'd be close to home.

The pond was full of activity when I arrived. The herd of deer I've seen all over the region was there, possibly to take advantage of the lack of wolves. The occasional rabbit also darted by me as I moved between trees, careful to avoid spooking the deer as I worked. They aren't as reliable at warning for danger if they're already nervous.

It didn't take long to gather a few good handfuls of lichen, once I'd worked out how to harvest without too much noise. I was also able to gather a good amount of reishi from the tree stumps beside the hunting blind. I would have taken the time and gathered more cat-tails as well, if it weren't for the large black bear that came ambling out of what I assume was its den. As it made its way slowly along the opposite shore, I decided it was time to leave.

Evening (0°c) Foggy

By the time I arrived at my snares, a fog had started rolling in and the result was an almost rosy-coloured refraction, bathing everything in a strange, coral pink glow. With the fog so thick, it took several minutes to locate both snares and the rabbits caught in them.

It turns out, I'd caught two rabbits, though the snares were ruined. I quickly gutted and skinned them, then set to harvesting the meat. I noticed that my speed and skill have been improving and I managed to remove the hides with little damage now. I was so pleased with my actions, I hadn't seen the wolf who had been advancing in my direction until its’ growl drew my attention.

It was too close for me to try and scare it off. I drew the rifle up, skeptical of my chances of aiming before it lunged.

Everything in the next moment was a blur. It charged with a snarl and leapt, its jaws aimed at my throat. I fired a shot, and felt the impact as the wolf connected, forcing me to the ground and knocking the wind out of me. I reached up to protect myself and to my surprise, was able to roll out from under it. Confused, I struggled to my feet only to find the animal lying still. Still fighting to catch my breath, it took several long moments before I was able to properly process what had just happened. The wolf had launched its attack just as the rifle discharged, meaning the shot connected midair and what I believed was it pinning me was the force of the body impact. In other words, a lucky shot.

By now, the sun was near gone, so I took only the pelt and some gut. What's' left, I'm sure will be quickly consumed by scavengers. After that scare, my only thoughts were of the safety of the camp, and despite being shaken, I made it back to safety in short order.

Night (-11°c) Foggy

I'm still sore from my impact with the ground. I've laid  out that hide to cure and ended up making some tea in the hope that it might calm my frazzled nerves. If these incidents keep happening it won't be the cold or the wildlife that kills me..It'll be my heart giving out from the fright.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

------------

Day 21

------------

Morning (-21°c)

I  woke up to the wind screaming like an unholy banshee. Every window in the office rattled and clanked with every gust and I started to wonder if the outside shutters would remain on their hinges. I put off getting up, content to snuggle back under the covers, rather than set foot on the icy floor. If there wasn't so much in need of doing I'd simply stay in bed all day. Lord knows my body could use the break from the abuse I've been heaping on it lately.

Stepping outside just long enough to grab a piece of rabbit meat resulted in a stinging faceful of snow. Not even the soft, fluffy type either. More that sharp, razor-like ice that damages clothing and bites at exposed skin with no mercy. I can imagine not even the wolves would be out in weather like this.

Today would be a good day to work on turning all of my deer hide into pants.  If I can get the pattern figured out and the leather cut out, even if I don't finish them today, I can work on them during the days I can't get out. I don't know how warm they'll be, but anything has to be better than jeans. If it weren't for the long underwear, I’m pretty sure I'd suffer frostbite on my legs anytime I stepped outside.

Noon (2°c)

I spent the rest of the morning cutting the deerskin into the proper pattern. I was nervous about it, and cutting leather was harder to do without a good pair of shears or a rotary cutter.  It was also a lot slower than expected, since I probably checked three times before I made any cuts. Without pins or clips to keep the seams together, it was a challenge to line everything up. The last thing I need is to ruin the leather. I don’t want to have to kill more deer than I have to.

I remembered from my early boot repair antics that simply trying to force a sewing needle through leather would just result in sore fingers and a broken needle. To combat that issue, I found a small nail, and used the backside of my hatchet to direct the nail into the leather as a rudimentary leather punch. It took an extra hour, but it was worth the time. Sewing will be so much easier when I don’t have to punch leather with the needle itself.

The only downside to using the book as a guide, is the indication of using findings for closures that  I definitely cannot find here. In place of the buttons/snaps/zippers, I’ll have to make my own closures. I can probably use a laced closure for the front, similar to how a boot is laced. That should make it adjustable. And easier to remove for cleaning and repair. I don’t have access to a proper machine to double stitch the seams, but with a little effort they should be sturdy enough.

Evening(-9°c)

The pants are a little over half done, and it’s the middle of the night. I lost track of time as I was working and didn’t even notice the sky clearing. Even if I did miss a little bit of good exploration time, the effort put into this will pay off with not having to rely on my old jeans. They were faded and ripped to begin with, I’m surprised they’re still whole.

Once I make myself something to eat, I’m going to get some sleep. My hands are cramping from holding them in such an awkward position all day. Depending on the weather, I’ll either finish and fit them, or pack up some gear and  head for the dam.

I suppose you could say my fate goes ‘whichever way the wind blows.’

((Thanks @cekivi for moving things for me! I figure that the story is better suited to this section. Sorry for the change of forums guys but from now on it will be in this section!))

------------

Day 22

------------

Morning (-14°c)

I woke up this morning to fog. Not just the typical morning haze either, but one so dense and heavy it was hard to tell just what time it was. It would be asking for trouble to try exploring unfamiliar terrain in this. Looks like today will be made up of finishing those pants. I’m looking forward to the added warmth. Jeans do nothing to conserve heat. Once they’re completed it’s time to plan my route to the dam. I keep mentioning it but Never actually get around to going. Who knows, perhaps it’s a sign?

Breakfast was unremarkable. A wolf steak and some coffee. I’ve realized I don’t much care for wolf meat. I’d rather not eat it at all if I can avoid it. However, since it’s food, I killed it and don’t want to waste the meat, I’ll eat it. It would be an insult to just let it rot. Perhaps I’m thinking too human about the things I’ve killed, but my job has always been to study them, not hunt them so it’s certainly a role I need to get more comfortable with. I may let my concern with waste go later, but I like to think of it as a way to keep myself in check too. It’s too easy to forget yourself when you’re alone.

Noon (2°c)

Taking a short break to rest my hands, I ventured outside to see if the fog had cleared. It still hung heavy and dull. I admit it was disconcerting to not really know what time it was. All I know is it’s vaguely midday.

The pants are nearly done now. They’re fully assembled and just need some finishing stitches and a few reinforcements to the stitching in high-stress seams. They’re not exactly perfect, or pretty, but they’re of sound construction and most importantly, they’re warm.

I’ll cook up one of the frozen whitefish fillets for lunch and then get back to the task at hand. The debate I have now, is whether or not to keep these jeans or not. They’re not much use in the cold, but in the event that these deerskin pants are ruined, I’ll need something to serve as protection.

Noon (2°c)

The pants have been completed and they fit surprisingly well. Not perfectly mind you, but I think with a little wear they should adjust. It’s easy to understand now why indigenous tribes valued deerskin so highly and used it so often. It’s surprisingly soft and supple, warm, and versatile too. With a few more hides I could probably fashion a pair of boots too. Of course they’d be rudimentary and crude by a lot of standards but They’d be much easier to repair than the ones  I have now. There are a few old pairs of boots lying around that I could dismantle to recover the soles and use them as a base on which to sew the uppers. It would keep the leather part of the sole off direct contact with the ground and give me a bit more traction too. I suspect by the end of this, much of my gear will have been replaced with or augmented, with fur.

I also took the time after finishing up the pants, to look over my parka. I’d noticed the wind was blowing through in places where it had been ripped by the last wolf I encountered. Having none of the insulation material it was made of to fill the gaps, I ended up pulling apart some of the many cat-tail heads I’d gathered while harvesting the stalks. The fibers have traditionally been used as fillers and insulators, especially between layers. Taking this into consideration, I used said cat-tail fluff to create my own insulating fibers. It’s not perfect by any means, but it should stop the draft for now.

All that’s left to do before I get some sleep is to pack for my excursion to the dam, and to plan by which route I’ll travel.

***Author's note***

Sorry for the delay in entries guys, it's taking me a little longer than usual to get the next excerpt ready to go as it's quite large. I've had to revise it several times due to to not being happy with how it was worded and a little bit of a writer's block while finishing the second part of the entry. I hope to have it up soon though. Thanks for your patience! 

• 4 weeks later...

((In the spirit of Hinterland's event, I thought I'd subject poor Ilia to some shenanigans.))

Middle of the night (-??°c - I'm not about to roll out of bed to check this.)

It turns out, after I'd retired after my previous entry, about an hour into my sleep I woke with a fever. I'm unsure if it's something I ate, or something I've caught, but regardless I've been in utter misery all night. Sleep is sporadic, and what little I do get is more than a little strange. Which is precisely the reason I'm awake.

In the ancient past, dreams were often used as omens, signs of events to come, both disastrous and joyful. Dreams were seen as spiritual  journeys, a time when the spirit left the body and traveled the unseen planes. Elders of many societies used dream interpretation to help their people both understand the events they had seen in their sleep and cope with the visions that could often be terrifying. It brought people comfort to make sense of the unknown, and that still continues to this day. Many people still do see dreams as omens, or messages from beyond, and many still turn to people to make sense of these dreams, even if just for personal reassurance.

I suppose my outlook isn't so mystical. I have always been an objectively minded person, and I suppose I found it hard to believe in the spiritual nature of dreams. I saw it as I had learned in my studies. The human brain sorting through all of it's experiences and subconscious thoughts and organizing them, committing what's important to memory and discarding the rest. The human brain is still a fairly big mystery and much of it's function has yet to be understood. That being said, it can also produce some absolutely bizarre behavior and experiences when under the influence of things like drugs, illness, emotion and exhaustion.

All that scientific garble aside: I've had fitful and restless sleep and even after lying awake for an hour, I have no idea what to make of this bizarre fever-dream. Vision? Dream? Am I losing my damn mind? I can't be sure but I'll write it down if for no other reason than to laugh at this lunacy later. All I can guess is that the stress and illness is mixing my situation with my memories and producing all manner of strange things. 

The dream began with waking up as I normally did these last few days, only where my body suggested there should be light, there was not. I considered that perhaps I'd gotten up too early, that something had roused me enough from my sleep that I was confused. Dressing myself quickly, I stumbled down the stairs of the office to peer out the small window by the stairs. I searched for a sign of dawn coming, but noted the stars still hung in the sky with no indication of dawn on the horizon.

Unnerved, I opened the door cautiously, peering out into the darkness. It was indeed still the dead of night, with not even the moon for light. The air was heavy and still, strange for a place normally so alive with noise, even in the middle of the night. Shutting the door again I wandered back to the small stove and set about my morning routine of lighting the fire and cooking breakfast. 

I don't recall exactly the sequence of events, but I do recall noting that it was still dark. Yet I still acted as if it were daylight. I grabbed my supplies and headed off into the murky night. I seemed to know where I was headed and made off in the direction of the trapper's cabin. I've no idea why I decided to do so, but then again, a lot of dreams don't make much sense.

As I walked, I noted the eerie howl of nearby wolves in the inky blackness. By now the stars had disappeared, replaced by a heavy cloud cover, indicative of an encroaching blizzard. I lit a torch and held it in front of me, much like a knight would have held a shield to protect himself, as if perhaps the light alone would protect me from the creatures that sounded as if they were enclosing on me. I picked up my pace, and if I had brought the rifle I showed no indication of it. I acted as if I had no weapon at all on me. Walk, became a brisk jog and then a run. Into the darkness between the trees I darted, unable to place where I was, but clearly on a mission to get to my destination.

An unusually distorted howl from behind me signaled that one of the beasts had spotted me and no doubt was beginning to give chase. A chill, running from the base of my spine right up to the back of my neck almost gave me pause. I've heard many a wolf howl and that particular one was like nothing I'd ever heard. I continued my rush forward, seemingly untiring, the trees but a blur at the corners of my vision. Why did I want to flee so badly? Why did I not face them like I normally do? More incredulously, who in their right mind turns their back to a prowling wolf?

As if to answer my question, I turned to glance over my shoulder. Another unholy howl assaulted my ears and with it, a pair of eyes. These weren't the eyes of a wolf, nor any other creature I'd seen in my lifetime. Red as fresh blood and lit from within, they leered back at me from the darkness. I could pink out the faint glow of a second pair, then a third, as they began to pack in pursuit of me. I came to a stop, against my own mind screaming at me to run. I froze. Fixated on the glowing crimson glare of the black beasts, my fear had rooted me to the ground. With each second my mind screamed at my feet to move, yet I felt as if my they were made of cinderblock. They had crossed nearly half of the gap between myself and them before the surging adrenaline finally kicked my body into motion again.

I took off running, at a speed I never thought possible, closing the distance on the familiar embankment that led to the safety of the cabin below. I had doubts that I could keep such a pace up long enough to reach safety, as the barks and growls seemed to be gaining on me, more than falling away. I hit the embankment at full-tilt and never slowed, my arms pumping and my chest burning. If there was anything awaiting me on the other side of that blind hill, I wouldn't have known anyway, as I had picked up enough speed to launch myself over the ridge about two feet, causing me to hit the approach halfway down, tumbling down the last two metres. I didn't even stop then. My torch had since fallen from my grip but I made no effort to retrieve it. I picked myself up without ever looking back and scrambled for the cabin, towards the familiar safety and a hopeful escape from the wolves that now, nearly followed on my heels.

I nearly overshot the door, but managed to throw myself inside, kicking the door shut as I crashed into the nearby chair. I didn't care whether I'd hurt myself, at the moment I was just glad there was at least 4 inches of hardwood door and a locking mechanism between me, and the black terror that awaited me outside. As I lay on the floor, my heart still thundering and my chest aching, I could hear them scuffling and growling outside the door before finally skulking back into the shadows once again.

I continued to lie on the floor, even after they were gone. Any adrenaline I had left in my body ebbed away and left me with barely enough to remain conscious. In fact, I probably could have slept right there, but the scent of nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon drew my attention. I knew that smell. I'd known it for years. It had filled our house during family dinners and thanksgivings since Nick and I married.

I sat upright, wondering if perhaps my nose deceived me. Perhaps it was a room freshener or a trick of my mind that was by now beyond frazzled. Struggling to my feet I sought out the lantern in the cabin and lit it, raising the light to my face to look about the room. A bowl, full of various candy sat near the door, all of them favorites of either my husband or close friends. A pumpkin sat nearby, carved with the image of a wolf but had long since burned out. I was surprised in my rush to escape the wolves, I didn't demolish it completely. I think I was aware by now, that I was dreaming but I did not wake. The jack o' lantern and the bowl wasn't where the scent originated. I turned back towards the bed and the chair that sat nearby and found my answer. On top of the small stove sat a freshly baked pumpkin pie, still warm. It even bore the same whimsical cutout decorations as the ones from home. I awoke a few moments later, still bewildered and more than a little unnerved.

Writing this experience down, as utterly bizarre as it is has actually helped me make sense of why I experienced what I did. It looks like perhaps I have a case for dream interpretation myself right now. I think I can actually see why I had this vision to begin with. (Other than being sick and out of my mind with fever, of course.)

My husband was the kind of person who could lose himself for hours in books about ghosts and haunted places. He loved old legends and though he didn't believe in them, he enjoyed reading things related to demons, spectres and mythical beasts. Halloween was his favorite time of the year, and he was known for telling great campfire stories about things like demon wolves. It must be close to Halloween or shortly after by now and It's probably my own mind remembering these things about him, combined with the stress of the last few wolf encounters that have happened to me in the last week.

The candy dish was full of treats that the people I'm close to loved to eat. My brother loved plain old milk chocolate. My husband loved anything with nuts in it. My good friend Liam loved treats that were made with peanut butter, his wife was fond of caramels. I was connecting to them in my own mind through something as silly as a bowl of candy in a dream.

The pumpkin and the pumpkin pie is most likely related to these same people. Nick and I spent a lot of time with Liam, his wife and their kids. Every October we spent the holiday weekend together. Liam was known for his baking and he put a lot of care into the traditional pumpkin pie he brought to dinner every year. His kids were always the first to ask us to take them to get pumpkins to carve into jack o' lanterns. The whole dream was my mind reaching back into the past thanks to a possibly spoiled can of soup and a bad cold. The human brain yet again surprises me. Something tells me the person reading this after I'm gone will either see this as a touching moment of human connection, or the ravings of a madwoman.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thanks so much for the kind commentary, it helps keep me focused. I've been struggling with a writer's block that's pretty severely impacting my progress. I like to write a certain way and when I can't find the words I want to say or they won't flow on paper, I find myself frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't expect people to understand it since not everyone is into writing, but hearing that it's actually conveying across what I mean to say without being overly dramatic and forced is a great relief. I hope to be able to push out an update soon, maybe even today if the creativity allows it.

------------

Day 25

------------

Morning (-16°c) Clear

I can't say how accurate my logs are from this point on, since I can't be sure how many days I spent indoors in delirium. All I can say is it's been several days since the fever dreams, and If I had to make an educated guess I would say three or four. Whatever it was that I had come down with has passed and the fever is gone now. I'm still a little tired but at least I can function in some normal capacity. I suppose the rest was good for as I've been on the move constantly in the attempt to explore the area and secure enough supplies to keep me going. I had been planning to head for the hydro dam before I fell ill, and during my more lucid moments in the last few days I've decided on a plan of action. Instead of taking the more direct route along the rail line, I'm going to try walking up the river that leads out to the dam area.

If this old travel map is correct, it should take me far enough back from the rail line to avoid most of the encounters with the wolves that haunt the overturned train cars. It should also allow me a look at whether or not there's an easy way out of the region. The tracks should continue past the dam and off towards a truncation where extra train cars for transporting lumber were kept. The map is old, so most of this place could be blocked off but what choice do I have?

I've packed light for this trip, as I'm hoping to move quickly when I leave the base. I want to get there with enough daylight to avoid too many surprise encounters. The only exceptionally heavy item I'm bringing is the gun. I haven't had time to practice with the bow and even though I'm not a good marksman by any means, I'd have better luck using the rifle. It's heavy, but really my best defense. I've also packed a few flares and some packaged food. I've decided a packet of jerky, some canned food and a box of crackers should suffice. If I'm following the river there's not doubt I'll come across more cat-tails I can harvest if the need is dire. Travelling as far as I will be, having open containers or meat would be like ringing a dinner bell for predators. As long as the weather holds up I should be at my destination by late afternoon.

Afternoon (-10°c) Clear

I set out just after sunrise, to maximize the daylight. The lake was quiet, and my only company was the bear I had seen previously, who ambled it's way along the far side of the lake, near the cabins on the opposite shore. It had no interest in me and I wasn't about to change that. The skies were clear but of course that doesn't mean there was warmth. The wind carried a chill that made it seem much colder as I traversed the lake ice. The sooner I found a windbreak the better.

By the time I'd reached the mouth of the river I was shivering and ended up tucking myself into a rock outcropping, just large enough to build a small, sheltered fire. I took the time to record the temperature while I waited for my tea to brew. This detour has set me back a few hours but it was sorely needed. The last thing I want to deal with is frostbite.

As I waited, I took note of the rabbits that darted here and there. More than likely they were searching for rose hips. Summer must have been good for the wild roses as there's been no shortage of the tiny fruits on every plant I've passed. This is also a boon for me, as rose hips are an excellent source of vitamins not easily found in the winter. They're also an excellent painkiller, so I make sure to grab a few from every bush I pass by. The pills I've found won't last forever and a natural remedy is much appreciated. 

I've realized that I have two options for travel from here. I can follow the river directly, passing through a small area of sheer cliffs. It's probably the fastest route and is wind shielded, meaning less chill for me. The downside is the fact that there's no way to avoid animals in such a narrow space, and scaling the cliff facing is out of the question.

The second option looks like a hunting trail or a footpath that diverges from the river and heads off behind the cliffs. It's a more open space and I have more visibility, but it's also exposed so the chill is much more noticeable. There's also a blind hill and I can't really be sure what's over the crest of it. What I do know is both options are surrounded by dense forest and both carry the risk of wolves.

Evening (-16°c) Heavy snow

I ended up deciding on the footpath that moved away from the river. The river was a risk I wasn't sure I wanted to take at the moment. I'm fairly certain it's frozen all the way through but with no bank to walk on and cliffs I couldn't scale, I didn't want to test my luck. Besides, It's better not to walk on ice if I can avoid it. It doesn't take much to slip on it, and a fall could cost me my life out here.

The trail took me close enough to the river to harvest a few cat-tails before moving away behind the cliffs, into a series of small clearings, the biggest being a valley almost basin-shaped in it's appearance. A cave-like outcropping was carved out of the side that backed onto the river, not quite enough shelter to be considered a full cave, but surely enough to be used as a den  for an animal, or a person in an emergency. A clearing in the center of the valley held a hunting blind, much like the one I encountered on my arrival to the region. Around it grew tangles of wild rose bushes, weighted down with tiny, bright red fruit. Against so much snow, the little bursts of colour were a welcome sight. The sides of the basin rose in a steep curve until the ground gave way to yet more sheer cliffs. The trees that grew along it gave cover to several deer that wandered between them, grazing on the lichens and bark.

By now it had started to snow lightly and I found myself stopping to take in the moment. Despite my wanting to travel quickly, there was something about the scene laid out before me that simply soothed the weariness I'd felt from travelling. I ducked inside the blind and spent a long moment just observing, the closest I've ever come to meditation in a place like this.

The snow had grown heavier as time went on and as the wind began to pick up, I decided I would shelter inside the cave for the night. Though the hunting blind is more concealed if I crouch, there is no protection for the fire I would need to light to keep myself warm. Grabbing some of the smaller fallen limbs that lay scattered about, I broke them up, bundled them and made my way to the cave. It took a bit of searching to find the safest and most concealed place but eventually I managed to find a place where I could dig into the snow and build a tiny shelter, covered with a pile of sticks and cloth. Hopefully enough to wait out the storm. I lit a small fire nearby in the sheltered outcropping and now all that's left for me to do is wait. There is definitely a storm coming and the winds are howling over the small hole in the cave roof. My goal of reaching the dam before nightfall has certainly been dashed, but perhaps taking a break here will be more beneficial to me in the end.

Night (-19°c) Light Snow

The night was fairly uneventful save for the storm, and I managed to sleep several hours without interruption. It was the howl of wolves that woke me mid-way through the night. They were far enough away to be no threat to me, but I still find myself cautious and on guard at the sound of their calls. The wind has died down and the snow has tapered off and if it wasn't for the chill in the air and the cloud cover, I would have set off already. The moon occasionally peeks out from behind the clouds, but not enough yet to give enough illumination for travel. The idea of travelling at night without a torch or lantern may seem like madness, but enough moonlight reflecting off the snow almost negates the need for a light source. Without all the light pollution from electricity, it's stunning just how much light there is on a winter's night. 

• 2 months later...

Quick update: Real life has kept me busy these last few months and I probably won't get back to writing until at least June or so. Without going into too much detail, my duties of being a caregiver to my fiance come before my hobbies and should anything go awry in his condition I have to drop things suddenly until they are stable again. 

That being said, I will continue writing this and Ilia's story will continue, I just may have to edit and compare the new additions to the game to what I've already stated in my writings. Hopefully this will mean I can continue on without having to restart (which happened when I first started writing thanks to a drive failure). I apologize for making everyone wait, but I will get back to writing this as soon as I can. Every comment has encouraged me to keep pushing through the writer's blocks that plague me from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

As of the next update it appears my savegame will no longer be compatible with the game.

HOWEVER,

I'm not going to stop the series or quit writing. What I'm planning on doing is this:

I plan on keeping the entries as they are, possibly editing a few to allow for new mechanics that were implemented. I will then replay a new save, up until the point in the series where I left off, endeavoring to remain as close to the original supplies and setup as I had previously. I won't know how well this will work until I see how the changes affect the save games. I don't like the idea of manipulating my save game so that's not an option. I will make this work somehow, it's just a case of waiting until I can get some experience with the test branch/update to see how it's going to help or hinder my attempts.

All that said, Ilia's story will continue as planned when I return! And if anyone has some suggestions for me as to how to make this whole transition easier, let me know!

4 hours ago, Felli said:

As of the next update it appears my savegame will no longer be compatible with the game.

HOWEVER,

I'm not going to stop the series or quit writing. What I'm planning on doing is this:

I plan on keeping the entries as they are, possibly editing a few to allow for new mechanics that were implemented. I will then replay a new save, up until the point in the series where I left off, endeavoring to remain as close to the original supplies and setup as I had previously. I won't know how well this will work until I see how the changes affect the save games. I don't like the idea of manipulating my save game so that's not an option. I will make this work somehow, it's just a case of waiting until I can get some experience with the test branch/update to see how it's going to help or hinder my attempts.

All that said, Ilia's story will continue as planned when I return! And if anyone has some suggestions for me as to how to make this whole transition easier, let me know!

That's great to hear! Please keep in mind saved journals should still carry over, if you want to preserve them for posterity. 

We know this is a departure from how we've handled saves in the past, but it gives everyone a more solid footing for save games going forward. 

55 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That's great to hear! Please keep in mind saved journals should still carry over, if you want to preserve them for posterity. 

We know this is a departure from how we've handled saves in the past, but it gives everyone a more solid footing for save games going forward. 

Oh I'm not worried or upset about it at all Patrick, I just thought I'd let the people following this have a heads up about it before anything changes. Kind of an FYI to people who've been following my stuff and may be questioning what comes next for me! I'm super excited for the new update and it will probably improve things even more from an immersion standpoint. This is the best thing that can happen to my writing practice once I get back to it! Onward!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived