i need a hobby. :-)

Axtos

41 minutes ago, Mystral21 said:

+1 to add mini-game like wood carving, painting, puzzles...
it can be very usefull when waiting for a blizzard to pass instead of "sleeping in the bed"

Ohh, a 1000 piece puzzle you spend months completing only to find out that 1 piece was missing all along.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 8.7.2016 at 8:36 PM, miah999 said:

Ohh, a 1000 piece puzzle you spend months completing only to find out that 1 piece was missing all along.

This would make me genuinely upset :D

Right now, I pass time by fishing - it's a fun activity I also enjoy in real life, and since fish doesn't have too many calories in the game, it sort of evens out when I spend a day (or a night) in a fishing hut. By the way, can wolves enter those? Because I remember fondly playing a few days ago, getting snowed in in a blizzard and spotting a wolf just outside the hut - seriously, way below detection range. It either didn't notice me (it didn't growl) or somehow couldn't enter... I even had a fire going!

8 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

This would make me genuinely upset :D

Right now, I pass time by fishing - it's a fun activity I also enjoy in real life, and since fish doesn't have too many calories in the game, it sort of evens out when I spend a day (or a night) in a fishing hut. By the way, can wolves enter those? Because I remember fondly playing a few days ago, getting snowed in in a blizzard and spotting a wolf just outside the hut - seriously, way below detection range. It either didn't notice me (it didn't growl) or somehow couldn't enter... I even had a fire going!

I don't think they can go in the hut. Fire or no I've always just had wolves run around them...

On 7/8/2016 at 2:36 PM, miah999 said:

It could be a picture of the one of the buildings with a person near it and the person is supposed to be you and the missing piece is your face...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I don't think they can go in the hut. Fire or no I've always just had wolves run around them...

....I think I just found my next shelter-option.

On the topic of passing time as it is now - does anyone else give wolves or bears they see silly names? Right now, my character is being circled by Hundi (a wolf I named after a stuffed animal I had as a kid :D ) and a bear I randomly dubbed 'Noodles'

5 hours ago, Wastelander said:

....I think I just found my next shelter-option.

On the topic of passing time as it is now - does anyone else give wolves or bears they see silly names? Right now, my character is being circled by Hundi (a wolf I named after a stuffed animal I had as a kid :D ) and a bear I randomly dubbed 'Noodles'

well, i did get rather attached to one of the deer outside the mountaineers hut in twm. named him robert. passed by him every morning for like a week. took a screenshot of him every day.
then i was starving to death, and chased him into a wolf and ate him
.... im gonna stop naming them o_o

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2016 at 0:50 PM, vancopower said:

How about your shelter gets damaged from the blizzards and you have to repair it with wood and wolf or rabbit skins? that would make much sense. also sometimes there could be heavy blizzards or tornadoes crushing heavy objects in to your shelter and destroying the roof thus you'll have to rebuild the whole thing. But as a bonus you'll get random stuff in your back yard like cars shelves things you can harvest, as a consolation prize for having to rebuild your shelter. What do you think of this idea?

My roof has never fallen off during a blizzard in real life, and if it would I wouldn't use fur to patch it up.

On 6/3/2016 at 1:27 PM, Wastelander said:

How about wood carving? 'Spend' a random piece of wood and some durability of your knife to carve a Fluffy-miniature. Uses up time and calories and the aforementioned wood and knife condition. When NPCs are added it could even be a barter good.

the calorie burn would make player not do the hobby.

On 7/6/2016 at 3:16 PM, Loupoops said:

Along the line of the carved animals, some musical instrument carving would be cool too. Having grown up in the mountains there's nothing like sitting outside at night playing for awhile. 

learning how to use a guitar would be nice.

Seriously, you guys are talking about adding another game inside this game because this game isn't engaging enough... and none of you see the problem with that? if a game isn't sufficiently engaging the player that is the definition of bad game design.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, continuity said:

Seriously, you guys are talking about adding another game inside this game because this game isn't engaging enough... and none of you see the problem with that? if a game isn't sufficiently engaging the player that is the definition of bad game design.

Actually as far as I am concerned, we're talking about ways to pass time here so the stat bars go low enough for us to do useful things again. Also, there's emergent gameplay in every game - see Minecraft for a good example.

Another thing I'd like to add: We're striving for realism here, and as many others before me have stated, realistic survival is usually doing a whole lotta jack, and you've got to keep yourself occupied.

A hobby or something could also realistically alter gameplay as it is - stave off cabin fever, give a buff to the upcoming morale system, produce barter goods, improve skills...

We're not trying to add a 'game' to the game. We're trying to add content to the game, which is the very purpose of the Wish List forum. And we're not doing this because the game isn't 'engaging' enough, we're doing this because the game is in Alpha stage and maybe some input could help.

• Upvote 2

Just now, continuity said:

OK fair enough, except realism clearly is not a goal.  There are hundreds of design choices in this build that are clearly balanced for game reasons rather than realism.

This is true. However, a goal is still a goal if you haven't achieved it yet. Also, Hinterland have stated numerous times before that while they do aim for realism, they will never achieve true realism because it's a game, as you have stated. In true realism, the in-game time would have to be just like real time, wolves and bears would most likely be scared off by the player and suicide would be an option, unfortunately.

However, both your and my viewpoint are valid in this and I see where you're coming from - in the end, it all boils down to personal tastes, and I will respect those. Sorry if I seemed angry or something earlier.

• Upvote 1

What i'm trying to say is, TLD isn't a survival simulator, Hinterland are clearly not trying to make it a survival simulator, if we get mod capability that's one of the things I expect to see, but for for right now, TLD is very much gameplay over simulation. Also realism doesn't mean "real time" almost every simulator I've played has timewarp, precisely because real life is tedious more often than not. 

My main point remains, if the game is allowing you to get into a situation where there is nothing you need to do except eat and sleep for in-game weeks at a time, then that's not particularly compelling gameplay and it needs to be fixed. Simply adding solitaire or some such is a sticking plaster where we need surgery.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, continuity said:

My main point remains, if the game is allowing you to get into a situation where there is nothing you need to do except eat and sleep for in-game weeks at a time, then that's not particularly compelling gameplay and it needs to be fixed. Simply adding solitaire or some such is a sticking plaster where we need surgery.

This I can agree with, guess I misunderstood you earlier - sorry for that. Yeah, right now, the game really does need more things to get us going. However, my point also remains that games, arts and crafts or music should also become a part of the game to spend time, make trade goods and stave off cabin fever.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

However, my point also remains that games, arts and crafts or music should also become a part of the game to spend time, make trade goods and stave off cabin fever.

Yeah I can agree with that. At the moment we have crafting, repairs, research, and cooking to keep us busy inside but it definitely wouldn't hurt to add more options to for e.g. boost morale.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2016 at 3:46 AM, continuity said:

Bethesda has mini games in their games. Especially Fallout New Vegas. It's just something extra, optional, that is fun and adds to the experience. Does Bethesda make bad games? I understand your point, but I think you're not being open to the idea of downtime in a survival game. This is a slow game. Not to say it is not engaging, but there is downtime. And some of us want more stuff to fill that downtime. With fun, interesting things. As opposed to inflicting food poisoning on purpose just so I can sleep in 10 hour blocks and hibernate.

There are opinions on this forum about Fallout ^_^

But on topic a simple card game would allow for some simple downtime with resting or waiting for that hungry wolf outside to leave. I don't know if they would be allowed (due to the ratings system) but cards especially opens up the prospect of gambling with NPCs when they're added. Even in the post apocalypse I'm sure somebody feels like they can beat the odds. Cribbage especially would be something nice to see.

Since Sandbox has no end goal or victory condition other than "Don't Die", by reaching that point where you have supplies enough and waiting around, you've won.  Kinda.  That's not to say you want to start over or do something else, though...  But that aside, if you're waiting for the horrendous weather to improve so you can go out to get something else you need, or any other idle situation, yeah, it would be nice for something to "do" in game other than Bedroll -> Pass time.

Those books we find, maybe we could read them!

+1 for carving/carpentry etc.  Things you make could be usable, containers and such.  Furniture, too.

+1 for painting or something like that haha.  Ties into the furniture line of thought too.

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Upvote 3