How do u Even Stay Warm on Stalker Mode

thesaver4

On Stalker you do not stop freezing just because you are next to a fire.  The fire must be hot enough to get your "feels like" temperature above freezing.  There are many ways to get "feels like" higher:

-Fire: just build it bigger.

-Shelter: Get out of the wind to avoid windchill.  Caves and houses are usually much warmer than the ordinary out-of-doors.

-Hand warmers: torch, flare, lantern, brand all make you feel warmer while they burn.

-Tea: drink a hot beverage for both a quick warmth fill and better feelslike.

-Bedroll: A lie down can get you back up.

-Repair Clothes: Every little bit helps.  Only 0.1 degrees above freezing is all it takes to save you.

Congrats on playing Stalker.  Now the real game begins...

To be warm outside you basically do just need a big fire. Hotter the better. You also have to build it in a sheltered area otherwise the wind may blow it out. According to google your feels like temperature has to be 34F to be equivalent to 1C which will allow you to start warming up.

And no, you may not even warm up in buildings. Most buildings are below freezing. However, if you have some good clothes the feels like temperature will still normally be high enough because you don't have to worry about windchill. There are exceptions of course. The Mountaineers Cabin is always really cold. 

most interiors, depending on clothing, stay at above freezing, so this is my way of keeping warm. i tend not to build too many fires, i just find an interior and warm up in the bed. only time i make a fire is when i need to cook food or boil water, or if im out in the woods without shelter. the fire mechanics work kind of different on stalker than they do on voyageur, aswell. on voyageur, any size fire will warm you up. but on stalker, you have to match the heat output of your fire with the current temperature outside. for instance, say it's 20F. you have to bring up the heat output of your fire, until it "feels like" 34F. otherwise, your fire is useless. i carry sticks and coal to fine tune the temperature of my fire :)

this is in no way realistic. but it is a nice challenge :D hope this helps, @thesaver4

also, focus on obtaining all of the craftable clothing. once you have the craftable clothing, you can explore more without worrying about getting cold, cause of the massive heat bonus. these clothes are heavier than regular clothes, though, mind!

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

most interiors, depending on clothing, stay at above freezing,...

Actually they just "feel" above freezing, because of clothing.  They still are below freezing.

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

the fire mechanics work kind of different on stalker than they do on voyageur, aswell. on voyageur, any size fire will warm you up. but on stalker, you have to match the heat output of your fire with the current temperature outside...

Works the same on Pilgrim and Voyageur settings too.  The difference is that Stalkers continue to take freezing damage while standing next to a not-yet-warm-enough fire, others get grace, but not warmth.

Freezing damage, freezing temperature, "feels-like" freezing. Its easy to get confused what exactly is being said.  We need a new word. Or two.

Archived