new food items!

Tbone555

2 hours ago, EternityTide said:

Food wise, I am surprised at the lack of jams, butters and pickles. Stale bread would also be something I'd expect to find in people's homes. Pasta, Rice and flours/oats would all make rich calorie sources that keep for a long time. Canned fruit beyond peaches should also be present. Pears, mandarin segments, cherries, apple sauce, etc. And cheese- excellent source of fats and proteins. There's a lot of foods which could be added .

Stale bread would probably be moldy or eaten by mice by the time the player finds it...

Jams would be nice to see though.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another specifically Canadian thing I realized was that - in all the places I've been to - we don't have "soda", we have "pop".

'Course, it's a big country, so maybe it is called soda up there, but I doubt it - usually the further North you go, the less American things sound.

1 hour ago, strigon said:

Another specifically Canadian thing I realized was that - in all the places I've been to - we don't have "soda", we have "pop".

'Course, it's a big country, so maybe it is called soda up there, but I doubt it - usually the further North you go, the less American things sound.

Mate, even in the US we don't call soda "soda" everywhere.

In the Northeast, it is called "soda".

In the Midwest, it is called "pop".

In the South, it is called "coke"

Etc.

On 5/26/2016 at 5:25 PM, RighteousFury said:

After doing minimal research, I found out that if you cook a crow till it's "well done" it is perfectly safe. If you can nail a crow, you should be able to pick it up whole and clean it for a bounty of feathers and a little meat.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/can-you-actually-eat-crow.10671/

Love the bounty of feathers idea, as mid game dynamics depend a lot on those. You should also be able to use either the beak and/or the talons, as well. Something creative... maybe another wearable accessory that boosts morale possibly, like the Native American head dresses or necklaces...

19 hours ago, Docterrok said:

I noticed that this post is really popular, and no food items from it have been added, did I drink a bottle of syrup for nothing?!

Drinking syrup is never for nothing, my friend. It is always a worthy action.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:22 PM, cekivi said:

Stale bread would probably be moldy or eaten by mice by the time the player finds it...

But that's the kind of enriching, immersive detail I'm looking for. Just for a loose example.. has anyone else seen the demo for Resident Evil 7? I bring this up only because of the uniqueness, and completeness in the details of the house environment that was built. You can open the fridge and it is filled with moldy/slimy rotted food.. open a pot that's been sitting on the counter for who knows how long and the pests have gotten to it, etc. I don't know how long it's been since 'the disaster' in TLD, or as a result how long these homes have been empty. If it's been a long time, I want to see more stuff left behind, more trash, clutter, chaos. Signs of it being a lived-in house. And if that means finding mice, roaches, spoiled food, I am very excited to see it!

3 hours ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

But that's the kind of enriching, immersive detail I'm looking for. Just for a loose example.. has anyone else seen the demo for Resident Evil 7? I bring this up only because of the uniqueness, and completeness in the details of the house environment that was built. You can open the fridge and it is filled with moldy/slimy rotted food.. open a pot that's been sitting on the counter for who knows how long and the pests have gotten to it, etc. I don't know how long it's been since 'the disaster' in TLD, or as a result how long these homes have been empty. If it's been a long time, I want to see more stuff left behind, more trash, clutter, chaos. Signs of it being a lived-in house. And if that means finding mice, roaches, spoiled food, I am very excited to see it!

True. Lot of extra work but it would really sell the desperation of the survivors.

13 hours ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

It seems like we're experiencing the disaster from day 1 on, since the disaster is what crashes the plane in the first place. Doesn't add with all of the corpses though, so we don't really know. As for the spoiled food, that's a cool idea! Maybe give it a reskin, and, for a while you can still eat it even though it's gone bad - guaranteed food poisoning, but calories are calories, and hey, sometimes we get desperate ;) 

I for one would definitely love to see more types of food. At the very least, some dishes using the items already in the game, wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Now parasites are just annoying. It's ridiculous the player can only use lots of meds to cure it, like 20 mushrooms. Waiting for cooking skill level 5 is boring.

How about mushroom-meaty-stew which has no risk of food poisoning or parasites?

1 mushroom+ 5kg wolf or bear meat + 5kg portablewater + 2 hours cooking = 8kg mushroom-meaty-stew.

It takes a lot of firewood and time to do this dish but a sane person will do anything to prevent food poisoning and parasites in the first place.

2 minutes ago, whisperwind777 said:

I for one would definitely love to see more types of food. At the very least, some dishes using the items already in the game, wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Now parasites are just annoying. It's ridiculous the player can only use lots of meds to cure it, like 20 mushrooms. Waiting for cooking skill level 5 is boring.

How about mushroom-meaty-stew which has no risk of food poisoning or parasites?

1 mushroom+ 5kg wolf or bear meat + 5kg portablewater + 2 hours cooking = 8kg mushroom-meaty-stew.

It takes a lot of firewood and time to do this dish but a sane person will do anything to prevent food poisoning and parasites in the first place.

Considering that advanced cooking is on the roadmap, I hope that this is how it's done, mainly because I'm a huge fan of stews in real life :D

However, mushrooms are pretty much useless as food items because they carry very few calories. They do add some flavour though! Nothing better than frying up some meat, mushrooms and vegetables, adding two cups of cream, spices and rice :D again, this thread has made me hungry now. If I ever end up obese, I'm blaming all of you!

4 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Considering that advanced cooking is on the roadmap, I hope that this is how it's done, mainly because I'm a huge fan of stews in real life :D

However, mushrooms are pretty much useless as food items because they carry very few calories. They do add some flavour though! Nothing better than frying up some meat, mushrooms and vegetables, adding two cups of cream, spices and rice :D again, this thread has made me hungry now. If I ever end up obese, I'm blaming all of you!

I think the mushrooms were meant to prevent the parasites from taking hold; you know how they cure it in the game?
I'm pretty sure he meant for the mushrooms to make the meat safe to eat, not to add calories

4 hours ago, strigon said:

I think the mushrooms were meant to prevent the parasites from taking hold; you know how they cure it in the game?
I'm pretty sure he meant for the mushrooms to make the meat safe to eat, not to add calories

Yes, that's why I stated 'as food items' - I'm fully aware of their medical use in the game.

It would be cool to see a food system somewhat resembling the food system in Skyrim, like finding cooked (but cold) meals somewhere, or the ingredients for meals in cabinets or something. Like finding a bag a flour, some eggs, suger, etc and you could make some primitive (and probably not very good) "bread". That kind of this would keep you alive. The making of stews is a good idea too I think. Shoot/snare a rabbit and put it in a stew that when consumed hot would give you a boost 

2 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Marshmallows would be awesome too, maybe a separate entity, but have option to put into cocoa for energy boost!

I would personally love to a) collect rocks and build a re-usable firepit and then b) roast a marshmallow on a stick. It requires both the bag of marshmallows and a stick to craft at the fire. This would be when you have to control whether or not your food burns to a crisp. xD 

I would like there to be more variety of stuff that is in the category of the tinned dog food.. stuff you'd rather not eat, but will if you're starving? And more food that can be harvested from the landscape. That, I acknowledge, will become more broad as seasons may eventually come about. I can't say I'm very familiar with what grows in Canada in the wintertime. The harvest-able plants we do have are more medicinal than food items. Cat tails are great! I would like to see more natural food sources.

Archived