new food items!

Tbone555

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is why you don't soak the wood, but you soak a piece of tinder which you place beneath the wood.

You want all that heat to be absorbed by the wood, transferring the energy from the accelerant to the fuel.

3 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Not to mention that water is one of the byproducts of ethanol oxidation aka. burning it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Ethanol-Verbrennung-V1.svg

That's the byproduct of ANY hydrocarbon combustion reaction. CO2 and water. You'd probably get more water out of burning wood than you would out of an equal mass of alcohol, because of the moisture content in the wood anyway.

As a Canadian, myself, I am genuinely appalled by the lack of canadian foods in the game.

The closest we have is beef jerky and the salmon - both of which, while popular here, are hardly staples of Canadian cuisine! I mean, really, we have maple saplings, but no maple foodstuffs; it's a travesty!
Give us maple syrup! Give us bacon! Let us hunt moose! (Isn't that last one actually coming?)
If it weren't nigh on impossible to find poutine and poutine ingredients in TLD's setting, I'd want that too.

Someone else mentioned hot chocolate; that would be a good one. More calories than coffee or tea - maybe 250 - but without the rest benefits. Still keeps you warm, though. Maybe even apple cider as a drink; lots of places here have jugs of the stuff lying around. It could serve as a replacement for carrying water - gives you some calories, and it can be heated up, so it's more efficient to carry.

53 minutes ago, strigon said:

As a Canadian, myself, I am genuinely appalled by the lack of canadian foods in the game.

The closest we have is beef jerky and the salmon - both of which, while popular here, are hardly staples of Canadian cuisine! I mean, really, we have maple saplings, but no maple foodstuffs; it's a travesty!
Give us maple syrup! Give us bacon! Let us hunt moose! (Isn't that last one actually coming?)
If it weren't nigh on impossible to find poutine and poutine ingredients in TLD's setting, I'd want that too.

Someone else mentioned hot chocolate; that would be a good one. More calories than coffee or tea - maybe 250 - but without the rest benefits. Still keeps you warm, though. Maybe even apple cider as a drink; lots of places here have jugs of the stuff lying around. It could serve as a replacement for carrying water - gives you some calories, and it can be heated up, so it's more efficient to carry.

^ this. LOVE these ideas, man. i've never been to canada myself but even i know that canadian bacon and maple syrup is basically a requirement here.
by the way, i see youre quite new to the forums. welcome! its always great to see a new face in my book! :D PM me sometime if youd like to chat, we can swap survival stories ;)

4 hours ago, strigon said:

I'm with you here - imagine if the game was set in Germany and there was no bread, Wurst, cabbage, beer or roast meat. (Seriously, I cannot live without those things)

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

^ this. LOVE these ideas, man. i've never been to canada myself but even i know that canadian bacon and maple syrup is basically a requirement here.
by the way, i see youre quite new to the forums. welcome! its always great to see a new face in my book! :D PM me sometime if youd like to chat, we can swap survival stories ;)

Thanks for the kind words!
You might be surprised about the bacon bit, though; everywhere I've been, our bacon is the same as yours. The only difference is, what you call Canadian bacon, we just call peameal bacon or back bacon. If you come over here and ask for bacon, you'll get the delicious fried strips of heart attacks :D

And I think I'll take you up on that offer of swapping stories; I'm still on my first playthrough, and it's already quite the adventure!

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Mmmm. Nothing like apple cider in the winter. Especially if the farm in Pleasant Valley is an apple orchard ^_^

Apple cider is definite proof that there is love in the universe.

Have canned tuna, soup powder and chili been mentioned yet?

2 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

this stuff has been brought up plenty before. though i still have a vague understanding of just what it is - it's not widely marketed in north america :P

It's a type of spread you can use on bread. Veeeery salty. It's available at least in Canada since in, I think it was 2014, there were rumours that it would be banned for whatever reason. One of the funnier things about Canadian politics, just like the strategic maple syrup reserve (it's real, look it up :D)

On 7/2/2016 at 10:49 AM, hauteecolerider said:

No, it does not reliably clean wounds. It's been discussed before.

While it can be used to disinfect wounds, which means it reduces pathogen load, it will not fully clean a wound. Also, it damages healthy tissue, causing tissue death and decomposition, which can serve as a point of origin for infection.

Whether it's rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethyl alcohol (the stuff you drink), the end result is the same. A high enough concentration to reduce the amount of bacteria (i.e. 140 proof, or 70% alcohol) is high enough to cause tissue damage. So you end up doing more harm than good.

It's best used to clean intact skin. Not wounds.

gasoline can be used to kill infection...

3 hours ago, Docterrok said:

gasoline can be used to kill infection...

And yourself.

3 hours ago, Docterrok said:

without fire of course.

Yes, if you want to die by poison.

9 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

Cauterisation is also a viable option 

We've discussed that in another topic. Cautery, regardless of Hollywood Movies (yes, John Rambo and Hugh Glass, I'm looking at you both), does not kill infection. It doesn't even stop bleeding, so let's not flog a dead horse. If I knew how to link that other topic, I would right here.

Both of these will cause tissue death, necrosis and infection.

Ultimately, your death will follow because there are no antibiotics that will clear up these problems.

4 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

Cauterisation is also a viable option 

Should only be a last-resort option though - without proper equipment, you're merely trading a normal wound for a burn. Looked cool in the Far Cry series (those healing animations from Far Cry 2 were easily the most brutal I've ever seen in the entire series), but in real-life it's a last-effort ditch.

Back on topic (although maybe someone should make a thread about ideas for an updated first aid-system), with the upcoming cooking-system (it's on the roadmap, check it out!) I think that various new food items will come with it automatically. Maybe different preparation methods could have different outcomes. I'm gonna use meat as an example:

• Grilling: Standard method, the one we see now. Results in non-optimal conservation of calories but it's quick and the meat can last a few days if prepared in such a way.
  • Frying (with oil): Requires a stove. Better calorie conservation than now at the cost of quicker degradation since you're essentially adding a bit of moisture.
  • Stewing: The broth contains calories as well, so you have superior calorie conservation, however, it's shelf-life is drastically shortened and it also takes longer.

can we please stay on topic here? not to sound up-tight, but i'd like the topic to remain as is, and the topic is new food items. any of you can feel free to start your own discussion topic about medical items and options in the game. if you start such a topic, feel free to post the link to it here :)

1 hour ago, hauteecolerider said:

And yourself.

Yes, if you want to die by poison.

We've discussed that in another topic. Cautery, regardless of Hollywood Movies (yes, John Rambo and Hugh Glass, I'm looking at you both), does not kill infection. It doesn't even stop bleeding, so let's not flog a dead horse. If I knew how to link that other topic, I would right here.

Both of these will cause tissue death, necrosis and infection.

Ultimately, your death will follow because there are no antibiotics that will clear up these problems.

Koepcke poured gasoline on her wounds, which succeeded in removing thirty-five maggots from one arm,[5] then waited until rescuers arrived. She later recounted her necessary efforts that day: "I remember having seen my father when he cured a dog of worms in the jungle with gasoline. I got some gasoline and poured it on myself. I counted the worms when they started to slip out. There were 35 on my arm. I remained there but I wanted to leave. I didn't want to take the boat because I didn't want to steal it."

sorry, off topic, but I had to state my reasoning.

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Hey everyone.

Do stay on topic. And yes, I can confirm that Canada does have a strategic maple syrup reserve. It was also robbed one year. Millions of dollars of syrup stolen at once! :silly:

Must've been a TLD character.

On the topic of maple syrup - can it be consumed straight from the bottle or is the sweetness so overwhelming that it needs to be combined with something? Because that'd really influence maple syrup's role in the game - and I do want to see it added, because come on :D

3 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Must've been a TLD character.

On the topic of maple syrup - can it be consumed straight from the bottle or is the sweetness so overwhelming that it needs to be combined with something? Because that'd really influence maple syrup's role in the game - and I do want to see it added, because come on :D

I agree.

Archived