Chain Saw

Axtos

Wouldn't it goes against the game's theme? (No electrical things at all so no electrical chainsaw)

One can argue that a lot of chainsaw are fuel-driven, and thus doesn't require any electricity source. But, in my opinon, it really doesn't fit in the universe ^^', it's too, uh, brutal and such.

But well, it needs to be discussed

I tend to agree with @Resethel. A chainsaw (no matter whether fuel-driven or electrical) just wouldn't fit the game's overall theme in my opinion.

Besides, I'm convinced that having the option to harvest great amounts of firewood in a short period of time - for a chainsaw is unquestionably way more efficient than a hatchet in this regard - wouldn't benefit the overall gameplay. It would just reduce the (already pretty little) effort necessary to stay warm and hydrated. As a result, the player would likely be left with more spare time to pass. Which is pretty much the opposite of what most people wish for.:winky:

What? Introduce a chain saw?  no i say at this stage, maybe the devs think about it but sheesh, we have many wood options atm and they are also thinking about introducing a large axe maybe? if not maybe a cross saw of some sort would be good.

Either way if you did happen to find a chainsaw it would need decent fuel to start it, a mix of  fuel/oil. The spark plug you can usual clean/fix or just insert a new one if you have a spare.

18 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

2 stroke engines, such as those found in chain saws, use a spark plug. If the event fundamentally changed the way electricity works any engine utilizing a spark for ignition would fail to work. 

The Lantern has a spark! so does the ferro rods etc.

i'd like to see a chainsaw or two laying around the logging sites.

even if they dont work due to the spark plug failing, it'd be good outdoor decoration for the environment at least. its difficult to imagine not finding a chainsaw in a logging camp.

plus, there has been a lot of argument over the effect of the geomagnetic storm portrayed in this game. a lot of people say, that the type of EMP caused by a massive solar flare would damage electronics only if they were switched on during the storm. in other words, old flashlights and electrical tools would still be completely fine as long as they werent being used during the geomagnetic event.
but on the same topic, its pretty much confirmed that the aurora will randomly, regularly flash across the sky and make electricity go haywire. so if youre using a flashlight when the aurora is present, it'll be fried then if it wasnt already fried by the initial storm. i think having working electronics would be a great addition to the game, because you would have to use them sparingly to avoid them frying, as the aurora could flare across at any given time.

As a decoration item, sure thing - always made me wonder why there are no such things given all the logging camps. But as an actual tool? Nah. I'm against that. The entire premise of the game is that electrical appliances one day decided to break, and fuel-powered chainsaws probably use some kind of electricity in them as well (although I don't know about that, so take this with a grain of salt). Also, we already have a lot of options to gather wood, so basically, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

2 hours ago, ElvisHunter said:

2 stroke engines, such as those found in chain saws, use a spark plug. If the event fundamentally changed the way electricity works any engine utilizing a spark for ignition would fail to work. 

Might I say, hit and miss engines anyone? Or perhaps sterling engines.

This was only a joke idea from me.

You found a big heavy chainsaw and don't have any drop Fuel for it! Older People remember maybe the c64 game "Zack Mckracken"

It's like a long range sniper rifle you found and no ammo for.

Ps not the electric has a dysfunktion! Its "only" electronic that don't works. In our times near the same. But all items whiteout "chips" works fine. A cheap chainsaw also. With fuel of course.

A physical electric dysfunction will kills all life on earth. Because our nerves are electric.

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

i'd like to see a chainsaw or two laying around the logging sites.

even if they dont work due to the spark plug failing, it'd be good outdoor decoration for the environment at least. its difficult to imagine not finding a chainsaw in a logging camp.

plus, there has been a lot of argument over the effect of the geomagnetic storm portrayed in this game. a lot of people say, that the type of EMP caused by a massive solar flare would damage electronics only if they were switched on during the storm. in other words, old flashlights and electrical tools would still be completely fine as long as they werent being used during the geomagnetic event.
but on the same topic, its pretty much confirmed that the aurora will randomly, regularly flash across the sky and make electricity go haywire. so if youre using a flashlight when the aurora is present, it'll be fried then if it wasnt already fried by the initial storm. i think having working electronics would be a great addition to the game, because you would have to use them sparingly to avoid them frying, as the aurora could flare across at any given time.

That remind of the solar flare we barely avoided 4 years (it was the biggest one ever detected, and it passed 1week far from the Earth)

It would have cause every electronic turned on or not. In face, the flare would have pushed the magnetic barrier of the Earth really close from the suface. The magnetic field induced would be so strong that every thing that is able to transport electricity would have generated some.So literally everything using active components would be out of service ( so almost everything nowadays ). Airplanes crashing, no more communications, no more transportation, and so on. The Shit would have Hit The Fan definitely.

50 minutes ago, RighteousFury said:

Hit and Miss chainsaw really are outdated ^^. I don't think you would find any in the middle of a pretty modern logging area. Maybe in the Barn in Pleasant Valley but, with the weather there, it may be impossible to make it work.

It would have cause every electronic turned on or not. In face, the flare would have pushed the magnetic barrier of the Earth really close from the suface. The magnetic field induced would be so strong that every thing that is able to transport electricity would have generated some.So literally everything using active components would be out of service ( so almost everything nowadays ). Airplanes crashing, no more communications, no more transportation, and so on. The Shit would have Hit The Fan definitely.

Well, good thing someone made a game about it instead of us having to live trough it, right?

my comment wasnt based on any professional opinion. it was just something i picked up from someone here on the forums :P
so when you put it that way, im in agreement that, while we may find electric / mechanical tools lying about, they should serve no purpose more than immersion.

but a hand saw? thats something i'd like to see. talking from experience, using a hand saw is MUCH simpler than taking a hatchet to split wood.

i also saw the guy from chandalar, alaska, on life below zero, smashing wood rather than cutting it. hammering a little stake straight through the middle of the wood to split it. this would take considerably less time than cutting, and i wouldnt mind using this technique in the long dark. cut that 45 minute harvest time down to, saaaaay, 20 minutes?

2 hours ago, RighteousFury said:

Hit and miss engines work using the same principles we have already discussed (coil and spark plug). Sterling engines are a neat idea but people went bonkers because a layman shouldn't be able to build a bow. I would hate to see the crowd reaction to us suddenly becoming esoteric engine repairmen ;)    

2 hours ago, Axtos said:

Ps not the electric has a dysfunktion! Its "only" electronic that don't works. In our times near the same. But all items whiteout "chips" works fine. A cheap chainsaw also. With fuel of course.

A physical electric dysfunction will kills all life on earth. Because our nerves are electric.

How do you know this? I don't believe any of the clues left by the developers have been conclusive as to the cause of said event. So the nature of disfunction has really yet to be determined. As you pointed out our nerves are a sort organic electronics; what sort of event could you imagine that only effects their inorganic counterparts?    All Hinterlands need to is provide a reasonable suspension of disbelief not adhere to the laws of nature. I trust them with the artistic licence to tell the story they want to tell.  

10 hours ago, Axtos said:

found in the wood cutter camp. 

... and in the whole game no one drop Fuel for it. :P:P

Actually, contrary to some of the posts, I think this is a great idea. A really heavy chainsaw that you can't use would certainly result in interesting comments once players realise they can't use it. Not to mention chainsaws would make nice art assets to the logging areas. Since there's no machinery around they must have been logging by hand so chainsaws, hard hats, etc. would all make sense in that context.

With regards to the nature of the disaster: since we don't know, no sense arguing about it. The only things that are known for certain about the disaster is that the grid is down, light bulbs still work (roadmap trailer), and that very, very simple devices are fine (e.g. piezo starter in lantern).

4 hours ago, RighteousFury said:

1 hour ago, ElvisHunter said:

Hit and miss engines work using the same principles we have already discussed (coil and spark plug). Sterling engines are a neat idea but people went bonkers because a layman shouldn't be able to build a bow. I would hate to see the crowd reaction to us suddenly becoming esoteric engine repairmen ;)    

I hope you guys know I said this in a satyrical manor, but for the sake of argument... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-tube_ignitor

Hit and miss engines can use a spark plug or a "Hot-tube ignitor". Which is essentially a red hot piece of material that ignites the fuel are mixture, without the use of electricity.

Though I am not very familiar of the backstory other than that all technology doesn't work, so please explain it to me if I'm getting something wrong.;)

I never understood this American obsession with chainsaws. Sure +1 from me I guess every game should have chainsaw what were the devs thinking not adding it in the first version of the game?  When 7days came out people were like where is the chainsaw. It was the same in empyrion too, the guy crashed on alien planet so he has to have chainsaw right  cause you always have to carry one whenever you go in to space that is standard protocol. Even in minecraft there are still people crying out for "the chainsaw". So yea lets put it in here too and we don't need other tools at all. We can slice and dice our way to salvation.  At least we can use the gas from the cars for something :)

I am not totally against however chainsaw is kind of a cliche so I wouldn't be surprised if it is introduced in here also.

2 minutes ago, vancopower said:

I never understood this American obsession with chainsaws. Sure +1 from me I guess every game should have chainsaw what were the devs thinking not adding it in the first version of the game?  When 7days came out people were like where is the chainsaw. It was the same in empyrion too, the guy crashed on alien planet so he has to have chainsaw right  cause you always have to carry one whenever you go in to space that is standard protocol. Even in minecraft there are still people crying out for "the chainsaw". So yea lets put it in here too and we don't need other tools at all. We can slice and dice our way to salvation.  At least we can use the gas from the cars for something :)

I am not totally against however chainsaw is kind of a cliche so I wouldn't be surprised if it is introduced in here also.

Well, Hinterland has been going against the mainstream for quite a while - there still isn't a single zombie in the game, and the devs have said there never will be, which I am thankful for - so I don't suppose the chainsaw has much of a future as a usable item. However, as a decoration in the logging camp(s), I'm definitely for it.

Just a point of clarification that the original post never asked for a working chainsaw. The thread is mainly about whether they should be included for aesthetic reasons or as a trick/joke object that cannot be used.

Just now, cekivi said:

Just a point of clarification that the original post never asked for a working chainsaw. The thread is mainly about whether they should be included for aesthetic reasons or as a trick/joke object that cannot be used.

My bad, I'm sorry.

Sorry if this has been mentioned I've missed a bit of this conversation, and haven't the time to read it all now, but I think chainsaw would make great salvage. First fuel, either for accelerant, or the lantern (not sure what all you can put in one of those). Second, scrap metal. Third, a hand chainsaw, craftable item, which are awesome (see image).

81T7luLT8oL._SL1500_.jpg

Archived