I'm New Here Would Like some Tips :-)

thesaver4

thesaver4 (PSN) (Steam is the Same) Been playing game For 15+ Hours Getting the Hang of it Pretty Decent at it so Far Amazing Love it One of the Best Survival Games I've Ever Played Literally Favorite Game of All Time is The Long Dark Would Like some Tips & Some Idea's How to Survive a Long Time My Longest so far is 4 Days ( i Died From Cutting a Tree Because Too Cold Didn't Have Enough for a Fire) (i think i know why i die because i Get Impatient and Rush into it At times and it Causes me to Die or Loose a Massive amount of Supplies)    

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think the best tip I can give is to carefully gauge the pros and cons of every action. Before you do any time-accelerating activities such as chopping wood or fishing, have a look at the temperature, your thirst and hunger etc. Then decide if it's worth the risk.

Welcome to the forums @thesaver4! ^_^

And yes, rushing is generally bad. To survive a long time you generally need a plan, a backup plan, and then a backup, backup plan. If you'd prefer a more headlong rush though I'd recommend trying the challenges. They're setup in such a way so as to encourage new playstyles.

Thx for the Tips i Survived 10 Days Now Because of the Tip's But i Died anyway  But i Progressed alot more than Before I Improved By 6 Days (Killed 1 Bear & 7 Wolfs) (Had a Rifle and a Bow) (Used 4 Bullets on Bear) (Went From Pleasant Vally to Desolation Point to Coastal High way) (Spent Most time in Coastal Highway)  

screen_f2d8b849-aedb-4a6e-a980-92a921037d28_hi.png

A good start! ^_^

Since it looks like you're playing Voyager you really need to take advantage of the reprieve you get at the start of the game before wolves spawn. Use the time to run around the map, familiarize yourself with your immediate area and find what loot you can while it's still safe. If you can find some first aid, knife, hatchet or flares wolves will become much less a danger.

They Wasn't Much of a Danger During this Run (But they Spawned Way to Much Like 5 or 7 Wolfs a Night) I had a Rifle (15 Rounds Down to 5) and a Bow(1 Arrow) And Alot of Flares(5 Of them But they were in my House) (After i Searched every House near me and Cars) I was at 22% Condition After i Left my House was Aiming for the Wolf was Over Wight So i couldn't Run So i Aimed at Wolf and I Missed the Shot and i was Fighting it and it Killed me  (I was Drying 7 Wolf Skins and a Bear Skin and Several Guts) (Was Going out of House to Get the Meat and Guts from Bear and to Search More Areas and to Explore More i Already had a Base But it Didn't have a Fire Sadly)  ( How Long Do i Have to Stay Safe from the Wolfs Spawning) (Going to play On Voyager for Now Until improve Alot more And able to Survive Forever or Increase the Days i Survive By at least a 100)  (Also Whats the Best way to Dry Skins and Guts) (I was Living here the House near the Top Next to the Car Also here is Were i Killed the Bear

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 10.35.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 10.35.56 PM.png

i would recommend starting on Coastal Highway first. the ample amount of supplies and warm clothing makes it a pretty simple map to survive in, however, it has a heavy wolf presence. which is also great, because it'll give you ample opportunity to practice techniques to better avoid / outsmart them. you can keep a small hunk of meat on you, then when a wolf is stalking you, you can use the "drop decoy" option, which is down on the radial menu. i'm not sure what the pc hotkey is, but that's down on the d-pad for xbox one. you'll drop the meat, and the wolf will shift his attention to it rather than you. this is the best way of getting rid of wolves, flares and torches don't always work! some wolves are more aggressive than others and flailing a flare at them will just make them angrier! finding a weapon would be your first priority. a knife, hatchet, heavy hammer or crowbar will do. no weapon selection is needed, the game automatically equips your best weapon during a wolf struggle :) 

once you get your footing and learn the basics of dodging wolves, you should move to Mystery Lake. this map is about a half and half mix of man-made shelters and wilderness areas, so will give you a chance to master surviving off of the land, all the while having a shelter to retreat to when needed. its the perfect map to train up for the more difficult ones, like Pleasant Valley and Timberwolf Mountain.

if you have any questions about my tips, feel free to ask. i'll be happy to answer them! happy surviving :P

welcome to the forums!

@Tbone555 ! (Anyone Really) So Start at coastal Highway and Move to Mystery Lake After Acquiring as Much as U Can In Coastal Highway (Getting Cloths Weapons etc But What would be one of the Best Hide Outs to Be in Mystery Lake) (Also Whats the best way to Dry Skins & Guts)   

To dry hides and guts, just drop them on the floor inside a building.  That's really all there is to it.  After several days they will be "cured" and you can craft with them or move them to storage.

As to the best base in Mystery Lake there are several good options, and lots of opinions.  I suggest checking this thread:  

11 minutes ago, thesaver4 said:

Like Whats the Best Way to Dry Guts and Hides

I answered that part of your question already, I think.  Check 2 posts above this one

12 minutes ago, thesaver4 said:

(Hibernating etc) or can u Not Hibernate Anymore

You can still "hibernate" but it's risky -- you can get an affliction called Cabin Fever if you spend too much of your time inside.  (It's also boring as heck, I never do it. ;) )

Personally, I would recommend starting on Mystery Lake. There are fewer wolves so it's easier to move around without being ambushed. Mystery Lake is also the most well rounded map in terms of resources and locations. Pleasant Valley is actually my favourite place to start and survive long term but it's a very hard map to play on if you don't know how to navigate it. The weather tends to be bad and it is easy to get lost.

I Haven't Played Much of Pleasant Vally (I Get Lost or I Don't Have Enough Supplies when i Start there) (I'll Start on Costal Highway or (Mystery Lake) & Go to Mystery Lake After Getting Wolf Hide and Bear Hide From Coastal Highway (If i Get a Rifle) (Loot Mystery Lake Get As Much as i Can then Move to Pleasant Vally To Live) @cekivi   

me personally, i love using the camp office as my mystery lake home base. it has a workbench, is right near fishing huts and its easy to survive long term there, because along with ample wildlife surrounding it for hunting, you also have the fishing huts. i've survied for months there before, fish being my main diet :P you can craft additional fishing tackles using a cured cut to make 2 line, and scrap metal to make 2 hooks. then you can combine the two on hand or on the workbench to make more tackles!

as for the bow, i cant give you many tips there. i've only landed 2 hits with the bow, and those were complete accidents.. i've never been able to hit a deer with the bow, on account of the fact you can't fire it while crouched. never been able to get close enough to score a hit. bows are not my strongsuit :P

I'll Go to the Camp Office and Get Fish Because i am Very Low on Food (I have Nothing Else to get food for rn because i Looted everything & Don't even have a Rifle But have alot of Rounds(27) and a couple Cleaning Kits(2) I'll Fish For Rn & Head to Another map What do u Think would be the Best Map to Travel to (I'm Already in Mystery Lake 12 Days) (Peppers Cabin is My Home Base) Have Alot of Supplies but Very Low on Food)   (Already Looted the Entire Map) @Tbone555  @cekivi 

i'd pack up and head to coastal highway. thats actually my plan for now on my character, im on ML too. im gonna hold out at the camp office till i run out of rifle rounds, then pack up and head to CH and live there until i burn through all of its resources, aswell :P

you should grab what you think youd need for a long journey. a bit of food if you have it, about 2 l of water, a couple flares, your bedroll, hatchet, medical supplies, etc. but i wouldnt reccommend taking anything you dont think youll need in the next map. for instance if you have a ton of animal pelts or 20 pieces of wood, it would be best to leave that stuff there to avoid being over-encumbered :) when i move to a new map, i usually take along about 20 kg of equipment

Sadly I Don't even have a BedRoll I don't have that Many Animal Skins (1 Wolf Skin) (2 Deer) (2 Rabbit) (4 Guts)  (I'll Grab what i'll Think i'll need Get Wood on the way Find a House & Try to Find a BedRoll because i Lost my Last one some were :silly:I'm Only 5 Over Weight so I'll Think i'll be ok (i'm Using Pounds Not KG & Fern Hight Instead of c ) :) @Tbone555 (Great a Blizzard I'm  playing the Long Dark Rn Blizzard Put me Back a Little i have to Wait till Blizzard Goes to Go to the Dam & Go to the Next Map ) (On Day 15 Rn)

haha yeah, you cant beat that weather! is there a way to change the weight and temperature display on this game? i've messed around in the options, but never found it. i had to learn how to read kilos and celcius to play this game :P being from mississippi, we here use F and lb

so THATS what that setting is for :P

me and my family have thought about moving aswell, to georgia. beautiful state, it is. anyway, im bout to jump on my character and play for a bit, you can pm me or continue posting in this topic if you have any more questions! i'll answer them best i can :)

Archived