Where can you sleep outside without a bedroll?

Wasteland Watcher

They should be able to sleep inside cars. Not sure about the lookouts, these might possibly also count as outdoor locations.

Moreover, the "indoor sleep prevention phase" isn't long enough to actually kill somebody (drop from 100 to 0% condition) by exhaustion alone. And if they're for some reason at low condition right at the outbreak of cabin fever, they could still drink coffee to fight their fatigue and prevent further health deterioration due to exhaustion.:winky:

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

They should be able to sleep inside cars. Not sure about the lookouts, these might possibly also count as outdoor locations.

Moreover, the "indoor sleep prevention phase" isn't long enough to actually kill somebody (drop from 100 to 0% condition) by exhaustion alone. And if they're for some reason at low condition right at the outbreak of cabin fever, they could still drink coffee to fight their fatigue and prevent further health deterioration due to exhaustion.:winky:

If they had coffee! :D

I've just been thinking of this hypothetical scenario because at the moment I don't have a bedroll (destroyed during a bear attack) and stuck in "Pleasant" valley which seems a lot colder than Coastal Highway with freezing winds and frequent blizzards. 

I spend as much time outdoors as humanly possible despite ragged clothes (also because of the bear attack) to offset staying indoors during blizzards.I've got to kill the bear that ruined my bedroll to make another.  There is only one bear in PV, right? I want to make sure I kill the right one :P 

I've seen as many as three in PV. It's a big map and there are spawn points all over. 

In that three-bear play through, one was the bear that patrols near the radio hut, another one patrols down the ridge between the two bridges, and the third one was the one that goes by the Farmstead. I didn't hang around the other areas long enough (like at the PV Outbuildings where the Red Barn is) to see if there were bear there as well. Too exposed. 

I'd like to see a 'Sleep on the ground' function implemented, which would naturally come with massive temperature and probably condition penalties when done outside, also inviting wildlife to grab a bite. Definitely not what you want to do, but it might save your behinds in a really desperate situation.

14 minutes ago, cekivi said:

@Scyzara: I thought you still needed a bedroll to sleep in cars?

Nope, it's possible to sleep in cars even if you don't have a bedroll in your inventory. The sleep icon (spacebar->campcraft->rest), however, looks like the blue bedroll in this case.

@cekivi that's a very reasonable suggestion to have additional warmth while sleeping in a car if you have a bedroll in inventory.

@Patrick Carlson do you think additional warmth sleeping in a car from a bedroll that's in your inventory is a reasonable addition?

Also, is sleeping in a car considered "indoors" (for cabin fever)? Thank you very much for any guidance you can give!

4 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Nope, it's possible to sleep in cars even if you don't have a bedroll in your inventory. The sleep icon (spacebar->campcraft->rest), however, looks like the blue bedroll in this case.

Thanks very much for the tip, Scyzara :) I had no idea I could sleep in a car because up until this point I've never tried.

i had no idea you could sleep in the cars without a bedroll! thanks for the tip :) and as for the question, its already been discussed but i can't think of any locations you can sleep without a bedroll outdoors. i like the 'sleep on the ground' idea. it would need to be used as a last resort method only. but it would definitely be useful in caves, as some caves have a comfy 0 - 5 celsius temperature, depending on clothing. what i would like to see implemented even more, is the risk of passing out when all the way exhausted. if you push yourself hard enough, your body is going to shut down to get the rest it needs. there are even spells where you fall asleep, without even knowing you're asleep! your body shuts down, but your brain remains active enough that you're still conscious. (this is most common in all-night drivers)

I'm all for sleeping anywhere but the huge caveat to that is, as @Wastelander pointed out, you will freeze. It's not commonly known but unless it's very warm outside sleeping on the ground will quickly give you hypothermia as your body tries to warm the ground beneath you. Now if there was a mechanic for making an emergency bed out of boughs using a hatchet or your knife than that would be far more interesting :big_smile:

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

Ah, that makes sense. I've always kept my bedroll since I thought I needed it to sleep in cars. Odd that you don't get an additional warmth bonus for having one though.

I think you should get a warmth bonus just by wrapping yourself in the bedroll.  Even if all you are doing is sitting there fishing.  Definately when sleeping in a car - its far more comfortable with a sleeping bag.

35 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I'm all for sleeping anywhere but the huge caveat to that is, as @Wastelander pointed out, you will freeze. It's not commonly known but unless it's very warm outside sleeping on the ground will quickly give you hypothermia as your body tries to warm the ground beneath you. Now if there was a mechanic for making an emergency bed out of boughs using a hatchet or your knife than that would be far more interesting :big_smile:

That definitely should be added!

I assume sleeping on a cave floor will also freeze you to death, right? Like all those bodies we find? 

It would be great if exhaustion caused the character to pass out for an hour or two instead of killing you. 

I've already reported the problem that you don't get the bedroll temperature bonus while using a bedroll to sleep inside cars a few days ago.:winky:

According to Support, it's most likely a bug. Guess this will be fixed with the next major update. :normal:

Hate to be the devils advocate again but if you spend a week inside a house knowing that your bedroll is destroyed and with the knowledge that you will contract cabin fewer, without any coffe nor stims you should have a very hard time to survive then. After all TLD - as any real survival situation - is in many aspects about preparation and failing to do so is one of the main causes of death.

So first mistake: don't let your bedroll decay completely, I had to learn this myself the hard way when bedrolls began to decay some updates ago. Fortunately there are bedrolls in many places and if you are not on your day 1000ish surviving with all cloths and bedrolls wasted already there's no reason why your bedroll should break down in the first place.

2nd mistake: If you harvested the blue bedroll you can pickup for cloths because you have a bear bedroll, that's another mistake due to short term solution seeking without having the long time effects in mind.

3rd mistake: staying inside the cabin for too long without doing anything about your predicament - which itself is caused by the players bad choice to sleep outside in unsafe territory with bears around. Instead he/she could've checked the notorious places that usually have a bedroll lying around or go hunt some bears for their skin and craft a new roll. If you are out of ammo and arrows this should've been allthemore reason to take particular care of your roll.

4th mistake: no coffe and no stims to overcome those 48 hours beside a fire somewhere outside.

So at least four severe mistakes of the hypothetical player in this scenario led to the predicament of this hypothetical situation and in my book the player should end his run and think about his mistakes, then start over and do it better next time. I mean for starters - other than in RL - you know that you will get cabin fewer and that there's no place outside you can sleep without a bedroll while having a fire going, excpetion might be Lookouts but if that's the case, I'd vote for fixing this ;)

TL;DR: this situation could've been prevented by preparing yourself on many occasions, failure to do any preparation at all should lead to fading into the dark...

8 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

That definitely should be added!

I assume sleeping on a cave floor will also freeze you to death, right? Like all those bodies we find? 

It would be great if exhaustion caused the character to pass out for an hour or two instead of killing you. 

to be fair, if you're wandering out in the middle of the woods exhausted and you collapse and faint into the snow for 2 hours, you'll probably freeze to death :P thats why it would be a more immediate issue to remain rested and keep coffee on you at all times.

Why worry?  There's no need to go outside or to sleep.  48 hours of continuous exhaustion can't kill you.  Unless you are relatively unhealthy to start (<50% condition).  But why would you be?  You've been inside for so long.  So just stay home and stare at the walls.  You'll be fine.  Until the next bout with Cabin Fever starts.  But then just repeat.  

Life is grand in the frozen wastes as long as you don't actually go outside.  That's where the danger is.  eeek!

10 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

to be fair, if you're wandering out in the middle of the woods exhausted and you collapse and faint into the snow for 2 hours, you'll probably freeze to death :P thats why it would be a more immediate issue to remain rested and keep coffee on you at all times.

True, but what about people who pass out while indoors? 

They wouldn't freeze to death :P 

They should awake 1 or 2 hours later with just enough energy to make it to bed ...say maybe 5% condition?

Archived