can someone give me some tips on rope climbing?

Tbone555

i've very rarely ever tried the rope climbing in this game, so never got the HANG of it
see what i did there
but could anyone give me some tips for rope climbing on stalker mode?

here is what i know:
*there are sometimes small ledges you can climb off on to take a breather and get your stamina back up. but they are not always present.
*climb as fast as you possibly can to avoid wasting all of your stamina sitting still

and i wanted to ask about that second part
is it better to just climb full speed and try to race the stamina bar? or should i be inching up the rope, taking breaks and moving slowly? i want whatever wont drain my entire rest meter after climbing one single rope. sometimes there is not a ledge to climb off on. the last time i tried a rope climb, i got to the VERY top, was too exhausted by then and slid all the way back down xD

thanks for any replies, yall :)

The most important thing when climbing ropes is to make sure both your stamina and fatigue bar are (more or less) full before you begin. The fuller, the better - especially if you're a beginner and can't assess yet how things are going to work out. It's also easier to climb ropes if you're not encumbered, so make sure you're not carrying around too much water, firewood or similar stuff.:big_smile:

Once you've started climbing, you don't have to take any breaks, unless on ledges. If you've reached a ledge, you can click on it to make your character enter it. Ledges are great to refill your stamina bar, so make sure you're not leaving the ledge before your stamina has fully recovered. This takes a bit of time if you're just waiting, but you can speed up the process (in rl time, I mean) by harvesting a stick if you like.

Happy climbing! :winky:

thanks for the tips, Scyzara :) maybe that was my main problem. i've only attempted the timberwolf mtn climb once, but was loaded down with about 20 kg of gear. i wanted to make sure i didnt get stranded and die up there my first go. a wolf got me anyway, however. i was so close to the summit, too :P

If you wanted to experiment a bit how different climbing styles (taking one's time or fastcrawling to the top) effect stamina and fatigue, you could stay on the low end of the rope and try different styles out to see which one suits you better.

In my experience, just hanging on the rope runs out stamina just as quick as climbing up as fast as I can, but I must add I haven't tried anything else but getting up as rapidly as possible since, so feel free to experiment a bit and report back on your findings.

As others have mentioned, the ledges really are your friends! Bring a few sticks to start a quick fire and regain some stamina as you make your way to the top. Success will arrive as long as you don't attempt a climb when in rough shape (of course sometimes you must...).

3 hours ago, unti1x said:

Never do it if you have overweight and then you'll climb up even by long rope with no rest

Definitely essential. If you're overweight the stamina loss caused by encumbrance combined with the stamina loss from climbing will exhaust you even on short ropes. This means that you should always have a buffer between your max weight and what you're carrying right now. As you lose stamina during the climb your carry weight drops. So, if you had 29kg in your bag you may collapse and fall before reaching the top whereas with 25kg or 20kg you would have been fine.

The temporary stamina boost from coffee is also your friend. If you need to climb a rope a few cups of coffee may make all the difference.

i will probably start up a new stalker game and experiment with different rope climbing strategies with all this information :) will let yall know how it turns out. thanks for all the tips, i'm definitely gonna put them to use :)

so, using this information i threw myself headfirst onto the timberwolf mtn climb, on stalker. i reduced my inventory as much as i possibly could. carried a bedroll, 1 L of water, some purification tablets, basic medical supplies (antiseptic, bandages and 2 bottles of painkillers in case of falls) and a hatchet with a couple flares and some MREs and condensed milk, herbal tea and coffee. even this lighter load had me weighted down at 17 kg. and made the climbs exhausting. though, with enough coffee in my system and enough bedrest inside caves i was able to eventually make it up the mountain (note to self: bring 2 tins of coffee next time.)
i tried both taking my time and taking small breaks, shimmying up the ropes slowly, as well as racing against the stamina bar. taking my time did reduce my stamina a lot more, but it was not quite as rough on my rest meter. while scurrying up the rope usually took my rest meter nearly all the way down. so theres my professional opinion :P

16 hours ago, cekivi said:

Glad you made it to the top! :D

To make things easier in the future some of the ledges have a sheltered section so you can make a fire and rest for an hour if you get too tired or cold during a climb.

the summit was definitely peaceful. as was the feast of peanut butter and crackers waiting for me at the top :P i only wish it werent so foggy, so i couldve looked down at the landscape

during my climb i found that coffee was my absolute best friend up there. the heat and rest boost saved me several times. if you brought about 3 full tins of coffee with you, i imagine youd be able to make all of the climbs without having to rest at all. i, however, only brought 1 tin and some herbal tea. it took nearly 2 days to get up to the summit. getting down, however, was ridiculously easy. i found the waterfall and just followed the river down. took my time and shimmyed my way down the rocks, instead of coming back the way i came. i was able to get back to the ground in less than 3 hours :P i dont think the game wanted you to go the way i did, but i have a tendency to completely break games when i want something to work bad enough xD

im definitely gonna continue experimenting with this, though. i have a saved game on hopeless rescue, all prepared and ready to make the first climb. bout to jump on that save and try to beat my last record :)

2 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

im definitely gonna continue experimenting with this, though. i have a saved game on hopeless rescue, all prepared and ready to make the first climb. bout to jump on that save and try to beat my last record :)

Best of luck! I think my best time so far was three days and 18 ish hours :big_smile:

On May 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM, cekivi said:

Best of luck! I think my best time so far was three days and 18 ish hours :big_smile:

wow, my best (however, it was also my first :P ) time was 5 days, and 20ish hours.

im interested to hear how you managed to do it in 3 days. just really good luck with weather, or did you have a specific strategy?

It was mainly taking over six days the first time :D

The weather was about the same as were my unplanned wolf encounters. My strategy was take the lessons I learned the first time (minimize weight, don't stop, coffee is your friend) and optimize them. I was happy with the route I chose even if it was exhausting. Still, I could probably get below three days if I could figure out how to sleep less...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived