The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.321: "Tireless Menace"

Raphael van Lierop

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We haven't changed the weather tuning, no.

For Fish -- good point. Now that they are more important (due to the risk of Intestinal Parasites from Wolf and Bear meat), we may need to re-tune Fishing to make it a more rewarding option. Deer and Rabbits are also a good idea. A mix of all three is the best option. :)

Yes! More fishing is always excellent! See profile photo :big_smile:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Sima said:

Hi. I'm new to the forums but have been playing the game for a couple of months now with whatever time I can spare. Have to say it's an incredibly addictive game and can't wait for more of it all the time. Well done, Hinterlands.

EDIT: Forgot to say how tremendously pleased I am with the cloud save addition. Now I can play the same game at work that I play at home :P

Welcome to the forums! Don't forget to introduce yourself on @Patrick Carlson's introduction forums :)

Not sure if this is something from the update, or just my client is messed up somehow, but one of the containers (the cupboard upstairs in the Camp Office, on Mystery Lake) is no longer usable.  I had a good amount of stuff stashed in there, and now I can't interact with it at all. 

Other than that, the update is amazing, I was gifted this on steam last week and I have not been able to stop playing!

I'm very excited to be playing in alpha and this update just makes it more exciting. Just imagine people just joining when it's released and you can say "Yeah, I played that old layout." Even if it changes further. I play on xbox and I'm going to have to make adjustments. I am used to using different buttons to access conditions and my inventory so I'll have to make adjustments. Also, have you changed any controls?

16 minutes ago, Jomo said:

I'm very excited to be playing in alpha and this update just makes it more exciting. Just imagine people just joining when it's released and you can say "Yeah, I played that old layout." Even if it changes further. I play on xbox and I'm going to have to make adjustments. I am used to using different buttons to access conditions and my inventory so I'll have to make adjustments. Also, have you changed any controls?

A while back someone started a "share your stories forum". There were a few interesting tales. Sadly it fizzled out before getting too many responses :side-eye:

Still, there are a few there :winky:

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

A while back someone started a "share your stories forum". There were a few interesting tales. Sadly it fizzled out before getting too many responses :side-eye:

Still, there are a few there :winky:

It was a fun read, some of the vets here shared some interesting tidbits!

So far I like the lantern flicker when you run low on fuel. Lovely detail you guys did there!

Also like the new mini-torches. Miss the old torches but now they will have to be crafted and they will finally be a scarce resource. 

Am wary of the visual issues with the surface lighting at nite of certain surfaces. In the dark or fog or snowy weather the amount of light is way too insufficient to permit the type of brilliant reflections being seen in the scenes at nite. 

Also love the hibernation fix. This should prevent the 1000 day runs by all but the most competent of players. 

12 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

The saving behaviour hasn't changed at all. Resting still requires a Bedroll or Bed, as does Passing Time. This is placeholder (we needed a UI for it); I have other ideas for how to handle Passing Time in the future. :)

Hey Raph, I noticed when I started the challenge mode it asked me for a name for the save. does that pop up in the load menu? And when I quit playing the challenge will I be able to resume? I'm too scared to close my game and find out haha

13 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

New! Radial Menu & Streamlined Status

To support our goals of deep immersion and informed decision-making, we have completely overhauled our user interface. The new Radial Menu replaces the previous Actions Panel and puts all the player’s major gameplay actions within one or two clicks or button-presses. The Radial has also made it possible to add a subset of basic craftables made directly from the menu, rather than requiring the use of a Workbench to make simple items like Torches, Bandages, Tinder Plugs, etc. The new Streamlined Status screen lets you quickly check on your Condition, Calories, and other important survival information without needing to refer to a separate screen that pulls you out of the game world. Overall we think this improves the player experience by keeping the gameplay flow uninterrupted.

aWesome updates HT, just had a quick launch of game seems great so far, only one minor thing threw me off is TAB Key menu how the hell do I eat,  I figured it out by looking in my game options key bindings, need to hit the Space bar to bring up the new Radial Menu. :)  Well my PC I did. Just thought I mention that to alert others if lost.

9 hours ago, djb204 said:

Having multiple threats in a game is a good thing. It forces players to adapt to new threats rather than falling into a repetitive strategy just because it's effective. Games get boring doing the same thing over and over. Even though a method to defeating an enemy/threat is effective, the encounters get annoying if it's repeated enough. Variety is key to keeping players interested. 

Improvise, adapt and overcome. I like this theme; I'm not sure the all the grass hoppers are going to enjoy certain changes; wolf attacks so far in-house, have been fairly frequent. The young one hasn't seemed to get it that an old tactic is not working now! It's evolution and adaptation on the part of the animals too! They've gotten smarter and braver. I wish I had the luxury of spare time right now to dive into this but tomorrow is a long day followed by several more. The video updates on YouTube should be entertaining! :ph34r:

9 hours ago, djb204 said:

Isn't the ingame bear a black bear? If it is a black bear, I could see a grizzly being a different encounter altogether. Grizzlies more curious and are way more likely to charge you, kill you, and eat you. Black bears tend to often avoid people completely.

The game bears don't behave much like black bears. The game descriptions say that the wild life behaviours have been affected. In real life, any major environmental stress that created a lack of food would cause stress and new behaviours of black bears and other predators which have learned to avoid humans. Once an animal finds a new food source, they will return looking for more; That food source could be yummy, juicy humans!! :/

18 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Gameplay, Tuning & User Interface

* New! Brands can now be taken from a burning fire (replacing Torches taken from fires; Torches are still craftable).

Am I the only one who doesn't get the naming of this? Why not just name it what it is a Fire Stick?

WOW, just Awesome!!

I am currently downloading the update, read the update notes and watched the trailer ...

I really want to thank you Hinterland. The first time it happend when you made the deep forrest update and this time too. All tld veterans will notice that the big topics about hibernation, wolv behaior, abusable mechanics and long-term-motivation-issius have been worked on in this update. I didnt play it, but in the end, everything regarding these changes is better than what we had till now. For me it really means alot! It means, that you actually listen to the community and chose wisely the best suggestions here out of the forum to solve problems and to make the game even more exciting. You don't simply put in wishes into the game, you always do it in your way, in a way the outcome is just amazing! Again, i had this feeling after the deep forest update and now again. Keep up the good work, take you time with the story mode and thank you for hundreds of hours playing this amazing game!

5 hours ago, SteveP said:

The game bears don't behave much like black bears. The game descriptions say that the wild life behaviours have been affected. In real life, any major environmental stress that created a lack of food would cause stress and new behaviours of black bears and other predators which have learned to avoid humans. Once an animal finds a new food source, they will return looking for more; That food source could be yummy, juicy humans!! :/

What ever the disaster in this game, natural food sources still seem to be abundant. Berries, fish, big game, small game. Everything a black bear feeds on. I also don't think there is enough people around in game for us to be considered a new found food source for any animal. 

20 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Hello community!

We've just updated The Long Dark Sandbox to v.321, which we're calling "Tireless Menace".

Wow, just wow!

I was getting drunk yesterday while watching football (the real deal, the one you actually play with your feet :P) when I saw the patch notes and I was in freaking awe. Ignored my friends for 10 minutes just to read them carefully. 

This is just an amazing update. Thanks a million HT!! 

There is literally not a single addition that I don't like. This update is so spot on!!

But this... this is just brilliant:

•  AI will now ignore dropped Torches and Flares.
  • * New! Added a Curiosity state to Wolf AI. There is now a chance that Wolves will hang back and follow the player from a distance, before deciding to either leave, or stalk the player.
  • Removed decay from Matches.
  • Increased the Wind speed required to blow out existing fires, as well as which prevents fires from being started. This should reduce instances of strong fires being blown out suddenly due to wind changes.
  • New! The game now supports Steam Cloud Saves for Windows, Mac and Linux. This means that you can continue to play your saved games across multiple systems (provided you are using the same Steam account).
  • Added new Footprints system, which improves the footprint visuals as well as respects weather conditions; footprints will persist for a longer period of time, unless filled in by snow or high winds. (Future improvements to this system will be focused on enhanced Tracking gameplay.)

I can't just wait to get home today... arrggh, two more hours!  

I'm going to post my full feedback here. Sorry if it's a bit long.

Degradation overhaul- This is great. Degradation rates were a big problem, and now that matches don't degrade, it puts off the "matchless era".

Brands- I like this too. Torches were way too easy to get. This makes it so torches actually have value, but you can still bring fire indoors in the matchless era.

New menu- Personally, I don't like it. I see that it may be faster for some, but I don't want to have to use both my mouse and keyboard to select something. I think you should keep it in the game, but give us an option to not use it.

Cabin fever- A good idea, but from what I've heard, it needs some fine tuning. I think you should get it by staying inside for x days, not a ratio from x days inside to y days outside.

Intestinal parasites- Also needs some work. It would encourage eating other stuff than wolves and bears, but I think the infection risk should slowly decrease as you don't eat the meat.

New select sound- I don't like it. Bring the old one back.

No throwing flares- This was a bad idea. It severely devalues flares. Flares were really useful before for hunting, but now they're basically a torch. Please bring back the old mechanic.

I haven't seen the rest of the mechanics too well, so I'll probably edit this post.

If you really don't want to put in these changes, could you release the old version? It would really be nice.

8 minutes ago, Salty Crackers said:

No throwing flares- This was a bad idea. It severely devalues flares. Flares were really useful before for hunting, but now they're basically a torch. Please bring back the old mechanic.

As I haven't yet played the update I won't comment on the rest of your feedback, but about that particular point, flares are still a safety resource in high winds scenarios. 

That was the use I was giving them before the update anyway. If the day was good, I used torches, if the day was bad, I used flares. So they are not yet a torch, and can't honestly see why they should be brought back to be a way to scare the wildlife. 

... but shouldn't flares be used as a deterrent to animal attacks? Surely, a furiously burning and loud object would have the same, if not more of an, effect on a predator as a timidly burning and "soft-spoken" torch. I'm not sure if anyone has used flares like this but, from a realistic PoV, one could essentially use them to set up a "perimeter" to ward off attacks...?

1 hour ago, Sima said:

... but shouldn't flares be used as a deterrent to animal attacks? Surely, a furiously burning and loud object would have the same, if not more of an, effect on a predator as a timidly burning and "soft-spoken" torch. I'm not sure if anyone has used flares like this but, from a realistic PoV, one could essentially use them to set up a "perimeter" to ward off attacks...?

Not necessarily.

Considering that under normal circumstances wolves/bears would avoid humans as is, and with LD wolves being extremely aggressive, by any standards, flares may not have desired effect, or any at all on that matter. If animal is bold enough to attack humans, then its quite possible that hes other instincts may be suppressed as well.

Especially considering that flares do not exist naturally in nature, while fire does and most animals are familiar with it. If wolves are not intimidated anymore by humans height, that is a major sign of strength in animal kingdom(if you stick out, it means you can afford it), they may as well ignore flares that are more show than actual fire. As if Event made animals smarter, capable of some version/degree of rational thought, eg tall doesnt mean strong, and bright doesnt mean fire.

Archived