[POLL] Tents, and/or camp stoves

chanster115

Things to add  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The wood camp stove:

burns only sticks, but for 3-5x longer[ more airflow allows for more efficient burn]

but weighs a kg

needs a pot or something to cook with.

Like this http://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-titan/

Craft-able hide tent:   

Vary heavy, but a little warm

Made with 10 deer skin and 3 cured birch saplings

Can sit in and sleep in like a car.

Can open a flap that allows you to use a campfire or stove whale open, but allows wind to get in on that side.

Backpacking tent:

can't have a fire close by [ it mite melt it]

vary light

windproof, but not warm

can sit in and sleep in like a car

Maybe even something like this:

Let me know what you think.

It might be better for the player to build a "rocket" stove on the spot from flat stones, tin cans or bricks. Any kind of enclosure greatly increases the cooking efficiency of a fire. The downside of these commercial stoves is they can only use small sticks that are the right size.

Here are some references to primitive methods of cooking.

cooking1.gif

Primitive cooking

Three stone cooking fire

Primitive cooking methods

A whole lot of rocket cook stoves

tmp190-23.jpg

Good ideas, thou it's up to the dev's how or what they add. I'm just thinking of stuff that can make a light base anywhere, and on the go. Another great idea is a snow shelter, or igloo. I want to here what the dev's have to say, because I know it wouldn't be easy, but they did do it with the cars so maybe they could us/edit the same assets.

• 1 year later...

I like the stove idea..

The tent I'm a bit sceptical of. The problem I see with it is the amount of resources required to craft it. Do you want to waste them or can you make do with a snow shelter or heading to the nearest shelter. A tent should also be able to be destroyed by wildlife (especially bears) so I don't think it's an efficient use of my leather

NO. Not a Wood stove, that's too big & clunky for a small portable tent. (even that thar fancy modern design)

A small portable non-wood fuel camp stove:

• Something that uses Hexamine cubes or Liquor Spirits for fuel.
  • Light, probably aluminum or brass
  • Small - a compact little burner/stove for little tents
  • Limited cooking capacity (not a big iron oven!)
  • Won't heat up the whole of outdoors - just keep a tent from freezing

Like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trangia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_stove#Single_burner_alcohol_stoves

Or even: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Burner  -- A single use craft-able stove?

No to the tent. You can already build snow shelters - those would be better in terms of protecting you since snow is a good insulator, they cannot be moved yet are temporary, take a lot of time to build but only take so much "weight" it takes to carry around the items necessary to build it. The tent would have to be extremely heavy which makes it completely useless, and its ability to protect from wind and cold would be worse than the snow shelter.

The stove - definitely not what you suggest. It would be way too good. Very heavy to carry, and I doubt you would be able to cook a kilo of steaks on a stove of that size anyway. There are two ways I could see this stove go:

A) it will be a stove operated on Lantern fuel. (2 ways I can think of acquiring it - either found like a loot, or by "pulling apart" few things from a storm lantern, and use it as a "gas stove" instead of "light source")

or

B) it would operate on wood, but it would be craftable. Basically old can, couple of holes and one window where you can add more sticks, and you have a portable craftable wood stove (little trick how to make your own so you don't need to spend money to buy one :D ). Love it, made one myself before and it's fun to use on hikes.

8JUplmC.png 

(sorry, pic quality is an issue, I don't have one made IRL at the moment, this one is a picture from 240p video. Still, should be easy to see what it is about, airwents down, the cut out the window is bent inwards, sticks go through that window, the air goes through vents and spirals upwards which feeds the fire with oxygen.)

Now, the most important part: cannot be used to "cook", only "heat up" cans, drinks and "boil" teas or make water. But not for regular cooking.

Another advantage of the gas one would be that you wouldn't need matches to light it up, just fuel. In fact, you could use it to "light" up real fires by putting down a gas stove, taking a torch and lighting the torch on the stove, then use the torch to make a regular campfire.

On 9. 4. 2016 at 11:33 PM, chanster115 said:

Another great idea is a snow shelter, or igloo. I want to here what the dev's have to say, because I know it wouldn't be easy, but they did do it with the cars so maybe they could us/edit the same assets.

Sounds like you don't actually know that it is already possible to build snow shelters. Use the radial menu, go to camp-craft, there will be an option to build a snow shelter there. 
Igloo would be very time consuming, and you would need tools like a decently big shovel to finish it before you would die of low temp. But I guess that depends on a type of igloo and on a lot of other conditions like the quality of snow where you are etc.

Archived